• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd AIP - (Q-PI-D)

Chicco

LAC
Do'h,

There I was, thinking I would submit my NVQ Level 3 for the 2nd AIP. After searching through the boxes, I realise that I dont have my NVQ with me. I must of thought i would never need it again for a few years and packed it away somewhere.

The NVQ was required to earn Q-OPS status, which is annotated on JPA & on the rear of my 4820. You would think that this would be enough to get your the award, but certainly not. A copy of the NVQ certificate is required.

Lets hope i find it within the next 6 months, so the award can be back dated.

Ah well, nevermind..

briggfairy

Sergeant
i was pretty much told that the nvq isn't permissable for an aip as it's a requirement for q-ops and in fact without it you wouldn't be able to move past a certain pay level (5 i think)

on the other hand the btec which makes up part of the modern apprenticeship is valid for an aip so if you completed that it's the one to go for

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
BTEC - Date Dependant

BTEC - Date Dependant

It depends on when you were awarded the BTEC as well. If you got it before Pay 2000 (as it was called) came in you can't use it for an AIP. You have to have been awarded it after the marvelous new pay system came into being.
Thats what caught me out and i had to pay back 3 years of an AIP i allegedly shouldn't have had authorised (Got the BTEC in 1996). Though i do know of some guys who did the same as me and haven't been asked to pay anything back..... YET!

Chicco

LAC
The NVQ was awarded back in 2004, where Q-OPS was awarded. Since then i have used the BTEC as an AIP (Q-PI-A).

I am now at a point where i can use the NVQ Level 3 Aeronautical Maintenance for Q-PI-B, or Q-PI-D.

I just dont have the paperwork with me, just the Q-OPS annotation on the 4820 & JPA.

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
Ive just put my NVQ 3 in for Q-PI-B. In the JSP it says all you can submit for PI-A is the BTEC, however on promotion to Cpl you can use the NVQ 3 for PI-B. There is a natty table with regs if you can be bothered to search for it.

I filled out the gen app quoting the proper JSP etc, attached the photocopied nvq certificate and went to get the boss to sign it - who decided he'd like to see the original!

Point to note - I had thought that it was back date-able to promotion date, HOWEVER, it isn't! You will only get back dated to the date of submission of the Gen app.

I only missed out on 2/3 weeks but one lad in our place thought he was getting a years back pay only to realise he was gettin a month!

Find that certificate and fast!

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Not allowed???

Not allowed???

The NVQ was awarded back in 2004, where Q-OPS was awarded. Since then i have used the BTEC as an AIP (Q-PI-A).

I am now at a point where i can use the NVQ Level 3 Aeronautical Maintenance for Q-PI-B, or Q-PI-D.

I just dont have the paperwork with me, just the Q-OPS annotation on the 4820 & JPA.
Don't think you can use both. You were allowed to use the one as the other would have been classed as the service provided qualification.
Unless the rules have changed drastically.

If you have done another NVQ level 3 course that you funded yourself (although allowed to use your SLC) then you can sue that?

M

monobrow

I'll be honest I thought it was barred from AIP as it would have already given you a pay rise on application of Q-OPS. If you were on pay band 5, it gave you 6 and if you were any lower than 5, you got 5 on completion...

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
At SAC(T) level, only the relevant trade sponsored BTEC NC is acceptable for award Q-PI-A, Advanced Incremental Progression for Trade Group 1. At this level you cannot submit the NVQ 3 in place of the BTEC as AIP (although some have managed to slip it through the net).

Some technicians HAD to complete the BTEC NC to become promotable to Cpl, others (including myself) did NOT.

Once promoted to Cpl, an individual can submit any qualification that is level 3 or above in an engineering/management discipline (other disciplines can be submitted for auth by trade sponsor) for the award of Q-PI-B.

Everyone has 2 shots of AIP, it is worth noting that when awarded Q-OPS status you are NOT deducted an AIP. You can use one AIP at each level - SAC(T) - Cpl etc etc and in accordance with the JSP relating to AIP's in the RAF, the NVQ 3 in Aircraft Component Maintenance (or whatever) is a suitable qual for AIP at Cpl level.

If anyone needs or doesn't know where to find the details in the JSP, I can post the reference when I'm back in work.

As mentioned before, it is only back date-able to date of submission of the Gen App so get it in soonish!

Chicco

LAC
Im sure the JSP 754 says that AIP's can be backdated for 6 months.

Chicco.

Edit --

It can be backdated 6 months from qualification.

Last edited:

Trusty Adjusty

Corporal
If you are correct then I am owed the princely sum of 3 weeks back pay! I submitted my AIP 3 weeks after promotion and was told it was only back date-able to the date of the claim on the Gen App.

I'll do some more digging tomorrow for sure!

Chicco

LAC
See my edit

I wonder who i would contact to order a re-issue of a NVQ certificate, or proof of certificate.

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
See my edit

I wonder who i would contact to order a re-issue of a NVQ certificate, or proof of certificate.

It might be worth speaking to your MA co-ordinator on base (if you have one) or getting in touch with the Accreditation Support Flight at Cosford).

Do a bit of searching in the Defence Directory...

Alternatively dig around and find the original!:pDT_Xtremez_42: