• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2018 Pay Rise announcement and Implimentation to be delayed

dctyke

Corporal
Could make things interesting for 'us oldies' as we watch the declared CPI rate for September (due to be released on 17 October), and the subsequent effect on Pensions in April 18.

I can never understand why it is not the average for the previous twelve months taken in September. The cynical could say that it is always open to manipulation in the month of September, i.e. Never take inflation raising government decisions in August.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Could make things interesting for 'us oldies' as we watch the declared CPI rate for September (due to be released on 17 October), and the subsequent effect on Pensions in April 18.

Aug was 2.9% . 17th Oct circled on the calendar, KOS pay rise of around 2.5%+ incoming next April.
Probably have an extra long lie in one morning to justify the increase.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
September is probably chosen as it’s released in October and gives the Gubbenmet time to cost everything up and plan next years budget.

Wouldn’t matter if you averaged it or not, over time the increases would be the same, you’d just miss out on the peaks and troughs as the rate would be smoothed out.

Unless there’s a big economic shock last years exchange rate crash should start to drop out and inflation should start to come down again over the next few months, especially as the £ has had a bit of a bounce this Autumn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turbine

LAC
Frankly anything that helps make up for year after year of 1% pay rises will help. Those people who are maxed on their pay increments have seen little or no increase in actual money coming into the household for the best part of a decade now, which is really starting to bite many people given the gap between wage increase and the cost of living increase. I dont expect to get rich doing this job, thats not why I do it but at the same time to be paid at a rate that reflects in the cost of living would be nice.The new pay model may have given certain rank ranges a nice boost but it has hit other areas just as hard-particularly those in pay bands that are to be disbanded. Marking time on promotion is another kick in the teeth

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The new pay model may have given certain rank ranges a nice boost but it has hit other areas just as hard-particularly those in pay bands that are to be disbanded.

have a close look at this and you will find that the bigger increments come with the longer one stays in rank range.

In other words, the pay bands were not intended to incentivise people to stay in the earlier years through reasonable rates of pay, but dissuade them from leaving, by keeping them hanging on until they got it.

4everAD

Sergeant
So if we get an amazing 2% pay rise it will still be a pay cut in real terms, also if it is delayed for a couple of months do we get interest on the amount we should have had? I appreciate it would be pennies but it's my money not theirs!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I'm hoping to feel the pay 'cut' less this year; I'm no longer affected by SFA charges, so they can't take it off me that way! I only use Pay As You Starve for about 1 meal a week, so shouldn't feel the pinch from changes there, either. I wonder what they'll do to claw it back from me? (probably make me buy my own blue shirts, as QMs don't seem able to supply any these days!)