• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st SJAR objective sorted

rocket scientist

Sergeant
WEF 01 Nov 16, Regular & reservist personnel are required to include the following as their 1st objective on SJARs:

· For Officers and NCOs. "Promote an inclusive culture within area of responsibility, working to increase understanding and engagement through education and initiative."
· For Other Ranks. "Contribute to an inclusive culture, treating others with fairness and respect, in accordance with Service values and standards."

On the one hand I'm thinking "WTF next, 2nd objective will be to Health & Safety, 3rd objective will be to foster a just a no blame culture with respect to Human Factors"?

On the other hand it's a good way to weed out those who can't be bothered to do this when it comes to promotion.

I sometime wish I had a 3rd because seeing as I'm in my last few years & not interested in promotion I'm not going to bother with any objectives this year at all.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
WEF 01 Nov 16, Regular & reservist personnel are required to include the following as their 1st objective on SJARs:

· For Officers and NCOs. "Promote an inclusive culture within area of responsibility, working to increase understanding and engagement through education and initiative."
· For Other Ranks. "Contribute to an inclusive culture, treating others with fairness and respect, in accordance with Service values and standards."
Surely those are part of the requirements of being a supervisor / manager / producer.

Putting those into the SJAR (F6442 for us old codgers) is like saying I will wash daily and launder my clothes regularly - they are part and parcel of the engagement in the military.

What next?

I will trim my toenails on a weekly basis.

Surely that's something that everyone should be doing anyway?

It's AP1. Literally Day 1, week 1 stuff.

"I will remember to breath in, followed by breathing out again"

Sniffer

Super Moderator

On the one hand I'm thinking "WTF next, 2nd objective will be to Health & Safety, 3rd objective will be to foster a just a no blame culture with respect to Human Factors"?

On the other hand it's a good way to weed out those who can't be bothered to do this when it comes to promotion.

I sometime wish I had a 3rd because seeing as I'm in my last few years & not interested in promotion I'm not going to bother with any objectives this year at all.
Where has this little pearl been advertised/published.

Surely these are not objectives. They are what we do as a matter of course (or at least should be).

What would highlight that the objective has been achieved as with other objectived I tend to annotate a date?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Turbine

LAC
Surely if it is mandatory put it in everyones roles and responsibilities?

Also to play devils advocate a bit;
Whilst it is one thing for a company to have a policy on D & I and for all its employees to be trained and abide it is one thing but to then give them a mandatory objective to promote values that may actualy be against an individuals personal beliefs is another...(this is based on a very heated tea bar discussion this morning post this news breaking and not necessarly my own opinions)

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Is this a new thing as Ive just been 3rd member of a PSB and nothing was mentioned then. Nor did I see it on a single SJAR.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Ignore my last. Just noticed OP said as of 1 Nov 16.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Surely if that becomes an objective for everyone, then it ceases to become an objective, and becomes a T&C of service.

El_Boomo

LAC
It also has to be commented on by ROs. Waste of characters in my opinion, especially after they recently stopped commenting on 'attitude to fitness' being compulsory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Turbine

LAC
Surely if that becomes an objective for everyone, then it ceases to become an objective, and becomes a T&C of service.

Exactly-kind of defeats the purpose of setting yourself a goal to set you ahead of the crowd when everyone else has been set the same goal

Also its kind of already there anyway, good old appendix 27 of QR's tells us "To set the highest possible standards of behaviour in respect of Equality and Diversity, and ensure his staff do the same"

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Well at least one person can tick the box, and of course anyone who objects fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digzster

Sergeant
  • This just reinforces my happiness at being out of all this sh1te now.

If the powers that be want this in every SJAR, then THEY should put it in automatically when the SJAR is initiated, not force the individual to do this as politically correct BS.

Just glad I no longer have to deal with these Terry FW's in their ivory towers. I don't think I would have the patience anymore.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
So is it for every SJAR thats STARTED after 1 Nov 16? Or every SJAR thats in progress over 1 Nov 16?

And what would happen if the individual didn't have it as an objective...?

Automatic C Grade on the PSB...? MAA?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

You are absolutely right. Someone somewhere has made a balls up worthy of the finest display of ignorance. By its very definition an OBJECTIVE must be:

• Specific. The objective should state exactly what is to be achieved.
  • Measurable. (capable of measurement – so that it is possible to determine whether (or how far) it has been achieved)
  • Achievable. ...
  • Relevant. ...
  • Time Bound.

It may be the last, but the rest is just a load of old exclusivity/diversity hogwash. If that is an objective, then my cock's a kipper.