• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 Grand retention bonus

T

Titus Aduxas

Has anyone else heard the rumour that all RAF Fire-fighters that have done between 4.5 – 7.5 years are to get a 10 grand retention bonus?:pDT_Xtremez_06:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
I'm not going to get into a flame war but, WHY? I'm sure that there must be enough competent volleyball players in other trades.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

S

stato

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If it were true then before you all jump for glee first take off the tax...So thats about 7k...then add on the value of the quality of life you perceive to gain from leaving and does it still add up to be worth taking?

It's true, however it's not 10K more like 7K, and you will still have to give a return of service like with a normal bonus.

D

Disillusioned

Why would they be worried about retaining them when they're busy replacing them with civvies? Perhaps instead of a cash incentive they could offer some t-shirts with a new "Fire and Rescue" design.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
This one has been doing the rounds for a while now. However I hope I can clear some things up.

The fire service is not unlike many other trades within the 'stretched, not overstretched' armed forces. We currently face a retention problem due to a multitude of factors, this is leading to a severe capability gap in the lower ranks and people getting promoted before they are fully capable, due to having nobody else.

The retention bonus has been offered to all trades across the RAF and is a matter for trade sponsors to decide upon. The maximum limit has been set at around a 17k bonus to serve a further three years. I know that there are a few trades looking at this level of payment, however the fire service is looking at around the 8-10k level.

As I said earlier this is an offer that all trade sponsors have access to, it just happens that my TS has publicised the fact within the trade. There is currently a policy document on the desk of every CO with reference to RAF firefighters and one other trade. How soon the money is in the bank is another matter entirely.

PSF Angel

LAC
We had the letter in work today from STC and it's a 6 grand bonus if you have already received your first retention bonus and 9 grand if you haven't. And the 3 years return of service is spot on. Oh, and it's only for SAC Fftr's too.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
We had the letter in work today from STC and it's a 6 grand bonus if you have already received your first retention bonus and 9 grand if you haven't. And the 3 years return of service is spot on. Oh, and it's only for SAC Fftr's too.

The letter you had today is the one I previously spoke about. This particular bonus is solely for SAC fftrs, but each and every trade sponsor has access to a similar scheme. I really do hope that some more of them act upon it.

B

Blazexxx

Kick in the Balls!

Kick in the Balls!

I think the thing that I find the hardest to stomach is the fact that as a Cpl TG8 FFtr on the level 7 pay increment (highest that can be gained with the new pay 2000 scales) I only earn £800 a year more than an SAC Chef that has done 5yrs in the RAF.

Thats what really grips my Sh1t...! ::/:

Its an insult!

Last edited:

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Current rate of pay for a cpl fftr level 7 on lower pay band is 27494.16
Current rate of pay fpr an SAC chef level 5 on higher band is 22181.64

Thats a whopping difference of over £5300 !!!

what are you talking about?