• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1 squadron raf reg 1st gulf war

manic69

LAC
when did 1sqn arrive in theater, were they attached to 16/5th lancers in the light armour role and cross into iraq with the 16/5th????? cheers all

K

kwazywabbit

On 16 Jan 1991, 1 Squadron RAF Regiment, were flown into Al Qaysumah to reinforce the base from Germany. Equipped with Scorpion and Spartan armoured vehicles they reinforced Muharraq and crossed into Iraq with 1(BR) Arm Div as the reconnaissance screen for the Division, ending the war astride the Kuwait-Basra highway.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
"Equipped with Scorpion and Spartan armoured vehicles"

Strange? - I remember them being confined to doing Gate Guards and Foot Patrols in and around the "Berms" because their little tanks would be confused by the Septics with the Iraqi forces little tanks?

I cant remember seeing their little tanks moving! (And man, were they a bunch of moaning minnies!)

Red-Rock

Sergeant
A-flt and B-flt arrived at Muharraq on jan 16th to take over from 51sqn and then we all moved to join C-flt with the support heli force at KKMC. We then, on the first day of the ground offensive moved into Iraq to recce landing sites for SHF. By the end of the first day we were 120km inside Iraq. We then continued to push forward to Kuwait City and after hostilities had ceased we made our way back to Al Jubayl. We did move as part of 1 UK Armd Div and didn't spend the war as gate guards. You want any proof I will gladly post some photos of lovely desert, wrecked iraqi armour and burning kuwaiti oil wells.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
But somebody, looking like Rocks, and complete with little tanks, was flown into Al Jabayl, and then stuck on Gate Guard for SHF Chin Det near Al Qysumah, or was it the Wadi near Al Batin?

...and I think we may have the same pics of the Basra Road too.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Like Rigga, I seem to remember having some 1 Sqn bods with us on the Chinnie Det - and a mighty fine job they did on gate guard too!

Actually - it was good to have them with us - they did a fair amount of patrols etc too so despite us having 250,000 combat soldiers between us and the front line, the day we were gonna move into Kuwait/Iraq I for one was glad they were with us. Puts the fear of God in me now, knowing I was supposed to be the lead vehicle - not from meeting any Iraqi types - friendly fire and all that!

And KKMC - the one place to have a decent shower in 2 and a half months! Plus the food on the Puma site was soooooo much beter than the Chinnie one!

T93

Sergeant
Off topic, but heyho

Off topic, but heyho

I (well not only me) was on the other side, about 130km East(ish) of Tabuk & I distinctly remember Egyptian helicopters passing via our location as well as the other allied types.

I have no idea what the Egyptians involvement was, if any...but they certainly came through as we had some fuelly stacker TSW chaps with us, who refuelled said helicopters & they informed me that they were Egyptians.

Is anyone else aware of this, or did anyone see these as well?

Certainly interesting times.

Last edited:

Red-Rock

Sergeant
But somebody, looking like Rocks, and complete with little tanks, was flown into Al Jabayl, and then stuck on Gate Guard for SHF Chin Det near Al Qysumah, or was it the Wadi near Al Batin?

...and I think we may have the same pics of the Basra Road too.

Wasn't 1 Sqn mate. We didn't get to Al Jubayl till after hostilities had ceased and we certainly weren't gate guards anywhere. At Muharraq we conducted Tesseral patrols, GDA patrols and acted as QRF and when we were attached to SHF we acted as forward recce for them.

As for the pictures of the the Basra road you may have mate I don't think they will be the same as mine unless you were sat in the same stripped down Landy as me when they were taken or have been browsing my photo collection. Not too many gates in any of them pics is there?????????

Attachments

• Callsign 13.jpg
    Callsign 13.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1
  • Callsign 42D.jpg
    Callsign 42D.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Convoy into Kuwait.jpg
    Convoy into Kuwait.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Heading Back.jpg
    Heading Back.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Heading Back1.jpg
    Heading Back1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1
  • Convoy into Kuwait1.jpg
    Convoy into Kuwait1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • Iraqi retreat from Kuwait.jpg
    Iraqi retreat from Kuwait.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Heading back to Saudi.jpg
    Heading back to Saudi.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1
  • A-Flt Armour at the MOB.jpg
    A-Flt Armour at the MOB.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
  • A-Flt in Kuwait.jpg
    A-Flt in Kuwait.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
We did have our own Sqn Rocks with us in Saudi (10 guys) but were supplemented by members of a proper Rock Sqn too - when on Exercise in Germany it used to be QCS - but am sure it wasn't them in the Gulf.

P

Portcullis

Didn't 1 Sqn valiantly hold Bahrain until 18 Feb 91 until RIPped by 58 (Pork Pie) Sqn?

Once the mighty pie had established themselves around Muharraq, on 28 Feb, Saddam gave in.

That means that we qualified for the Bar (on the medal as well as the one in the Holiday Inn) having spent more than the required 7 days between 16 Jan and 28 Feb 91, in Theatre.

On Rates too!

Happy days. :pDT_Xtremez_30: Oh how they've changed!

Kiwistacker

Clinically Insane
....and they stole the hot water from our showers at Ghost/Goblin/Ghoulie* (near Hafir al Batyn).

*Delete as applicable. My memory is going, can anyone remember the sites names and where they were?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
They used to jump out on us smallys that had beeen pinged to do guard at Muharraq. They eventually got told to feck off and leave us alone and get on with their own job.