• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Working for Morson as a contractor?

OkevsterO

LAC
As title really,

I'm currently in a situation where I've been considering leaving the RAF. On a whim I drafted a CV and sent it to the HR department at Morson for a Lecky job at Marham. I've since found out I've been offered the job and so now need to make a decision as to weather to go for it or not. I was just after a little advice from some others who may have made the same jump from RAF to self employed. It's a little scary as I've got a young family to support and want what's best for them. I'm not looking at this as a long term job, more of a stepping stone as a know contract work can be a bit hit and miss. The better money though could make a huge difference.

Thanks in advance.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
setting up your own ltd company is quite easy or you could go through an Umbrella Company, yes there is a degree of uncertainty in this line of work but you've got all the cards, if the rate aint good enough then the answer is NO!!! the rate Morsons typically offer is generally below industry standards for unlicensed mechanic work (CAA aviation world).

My advise to you would be to get stuck into your CAA licence modules and smash through them all. B2 LAE + type(s) pay is a different proposition altogether. Very rough estimate £40/hr upwards, if you have a 'type' that is in demand then you can almost name your price, particularly if you go overseas on the month on/month off or 6/6 roster. Mates of mine working in the O&G sector (Far East, Nigeria, Aus) are earning serious cash.

OkevsterO

LAC
Thanks for the info, I was unaware they paid below the norm. As you've suggested though I think Licensed work is where the money is and so will no doubt look into following that path once I've adjusted to the self employed life :)

Keyser Söze

Corporal
the rate I've seen advertised by Morson's is circa £14/hr as a mech (CAA un-licenced mechanic/fitter equivelent). The normal rate for un-licenced fitters in CAA land is circa £18/hr upwards depending on experience.

If they ve upped their rates to compete then its good news, although to be honest Morson's typical fare, is mil contracts which suffer from the spending cuts within government, do some more digging and make sure my opinions can be demonstrated,, tbh I dont think they're too far wide of the mark

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Obviously they rely on individuals having a pension, as a commuted pension for someone leaving at 40 is worth about £4 - £5 per hour.

Even if you don't have a pension this is a good way of getting out as once you become a subby you will have a much more flexible notice period.

Any misunderstandings above caused by predictive texf