• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Work in RAF vs "normal" work

wench02

SAC
Hi guys, hoping someone may be able to help me with a trival question... one I have been pondering for many days.

Just wondering how being in the RAF is going to compare with my "normal" job. Currently, where I am working, basically I have to much to do, probably about 2 peoples workload, and as a consequence, you have to do the important bits, and gloss over the not so important stuff. You are also expected to stay hours over your contracted hours to fit everything in, without overtime. (I am having to work all this weekend to try and catch up with some of it). I really enjoy my job, and I work with some fantastic people, but it does get depressing when more and more gets piled on you, and already have to much to do!

So the point being... (apart from when you are deployed, or an emergency situtation, which is entirely different), is the RAF like this, or is it a bit easier going? I like plenty to do at work, I like being busy... but not stupidly so!

gray

Sergeant
Work

Work

Yes - and No......and it's not trivial

Some people seem to be maxxed out - yet others always seem to be in the gym, or out and about, or having afternoons off. Although due to manning constraints it is leaning more towards maxxed out.

Personally I'm midway between the 2, but it all depends on which Trade, Station, Section etc you'll be in, and the attitude of the Line Management. Having been at both ends of the spectrum in my time in.

Unofficially we (Our place) have a Toil system (Time Off In lieu) where if anyone works extra, then it goes in the book, to be reclaimed at a later date. Work permitting :)

G

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi guys, hoping someone may be able to help me with a trival question... one I have been pondering for many days.

Just wondering how being in the RAF is going to compare with my "normal" job. Currently, where I am working, basically I have to much to do, probably about 2 peoples workload, and as a consequence, you have to do the important bits, and gloss over the not so important stuff. You are also expected to stay hours over your contracted hours to fit everything in, without overtime. (I am having to work all this weekend to try and catch up with some of it). I really enjoy my job, and I work with some fantastic people, but it does get depressing when more and more gets piled on you, and already have to much to do!

So the point being... (apart from when you are deployed, or an emergency situtation, which is entirely different), is the RAF like this, or is it a bit easier going? I like plenty to do at work, I like being busy... but not stupidly so!

Are you still going AMM? If so, you'll probably be on Shift so once your Shift is up you go home - simples!

You'll find times when you are maxed beyond belief and other times sat in the crewroom waiting. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

I suspect though, you'll find the Military nothing at all like a "normal" civvy type job.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
In a civvie job you turn up late for work,you get a verbal warning,three warnings & you may be sacked.In the forces you turn up late for work or any other duty,you'll get charged,go before the boss & either fined or given ROPS.
In the forces you get paid,on paper,less money per hour than a civvie job but you're paid 24hrs a day,seven days a week,365 days a year (or you did in my day) so the isn't any such thing as unpaid overtime,hence the TIOL operated by some sections.

It the same in the RAF especially at supervisory levels. But a lot of the extra work is generated for no good reason at all. For human factor purposes people should not be working more than 40 hrs per week and that should include personal admin, at least 2 gym session per week, and lunch breaks. Wether it happens or not depends on where you work etc. But it's what the top knobs believe.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Day to day work is manageable. It can even be fun too.

Add in a myriad of "box ticking" stuff that has no relevence on the output of the RAF, but still keeps getting thrown in for good measure and you struggle to cope.

Lose a % of your workforce for any significant period and you really struggle.

Throw in a possible war somewhere, with a bucket load of training that is made up from week to week and you sink.

I'm just about to enter the sinking phase and there is feck all I can do about it. It aint nice.