• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wokeful or Woeful?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I seem to remember Rory Underwood used to be sponsored by Proton and drove a free one at Wyton. Utterly crap cars back then.

Last edited:

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I remember when one of the dealers in Cyprus got the contract to sell Proton's.
He visited out section to try and flog a few as much as we tried to tell him where to go he persisted so i showed him the write up in a Top gear magazine on the car - Good Points, Suspension and handling by Lotus. Bad Points, the other 97% of the car.
We didn't see him after that 😄

Johned

SAC
I seem to remember Rory Underwood used to be sponsored by Proton and drove a free one at Wyton. Utterly crap cars back then.
Many years ago I was travelling home from work North up the A1 and I espied a forlorn looking figure in RAF shirtsleeve order sauntering South down the side of the road carrying a petrol tin. Poor chaps run out of petrol methought and then recognition dawned, it was Rory Underwood himself. Had he been walking in my direction, I would have offered him a lift. A few weeks later I offered a soldier a lift, climbing in he asked "Are you a celebrity?" "Not yet!" I averred then he said "My last lift was with Geoff Capes!" You certainly see the stars on the A1 lol.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Maybe wiggys walk toward wokeism is starting to backfire.

"The Royal Air Force broke employment law when it attempted to favour female and ethnic minority candidates over white men, an official report is expected to conclude."

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If found guilty then those responsible, those that signed said documents, (unless they were "leaned" on of course by upper management who wouldn't put their own name to their "wishes" but merely veraballed it - AKA threatened and coerced) should be CHARGED especially if they broke the law knowingly. The RAF Officer Corp will (STILL) think it is above the law and can do what it wants, whenever it wants otherwise. Those who knowingly dismissed this should also be discharged dishonorably. Time to make an example. But while those at the top are the ones setting the POOR example...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Could not listen to more than 5 minutes of that video, if that is the leadership of todays RAF then I feel sorry for those still in, what an embarrassment, one assumes that it gets worse as the meeting progressed.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Its not getting better from a PR stand point. What a mess (allegedly of course)

"The RAF is also reportedly paying £5,000 each to 31 white men who it found had been unfairly disadvantaged by its recruitment policy."

But obviously "There was no compromise of entry standards and no impact on the frontline or operational effectiveness." said Pinocchio

Air Chief Marshall Sir Mike Wigston, who is retiring next month, said: ' one of the mistakes made was that those 'aspirational goals filtered down into people's personal objectives in-year, which they found almost impossible to meet'."
So certainly not his policy at fault then. Maybe just one of those things that happen

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I can't help wondering about this

"'I noted that the boards have recently been predominantly white male heavy, if we don't have enough BAME and female to board then we need to make the decision to pause boarding and seek more BAME and female from the RF [recruitment force]."

Just how long would boarding be paused (and, hence, running vacancies in the downstream manning levels) before they gave up looking for the 'right' proportions of non white, male candidates? You cannot board the 'right' proportion of black, lesbian muslims (other minorities are available) if black lesbian muslims aren't coming through the doors of the recruiting process in sufficient numbers in the first place. (Unless you were planning on restarting press gangs...)

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Its not getting better from a PR stand point. What a mess (allegedly of course)

"The RAF is also reportedly paying £5,000 each to 31 white men who it found had been unfairly disadvantaged by its recruitment policy."

But obviously "There was no compromise of entry standards and no impact on the frontline or operational effectiveness." said Pinocchio

Air Chief Marshall Sir Mike Wigston, who is retiring next month, said: ' one of the mistakes made was that those 'aspirational goals filtered down into people's personal objectives in-year, which they found almost impossible to meet'."
So certainly not his policy at fault then. Maybe just one of those things that happen

Perhaps the £155,000 should be taken from Wokeston's severance payment or pension as a lesson to him and all those others that crap policies have consequences for those who dream them up, rather than the wider public.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I can't help wondering about this

"'I noted that the boards have recently been predominantly white male heavy, if we don't have enough BAME and female to board then we need to make the decision to pause boarding and seek more BAME and female from the RF [recruitment force]."...............
Perhaps the fella ( who was named by The Telegraph) who wrote that disgraceful piece needed a pause to attend to his own business matters.

An RAF officer moonlighting? Surely not!

Last edited:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It rumbles on seems the former recruiting Gp Cpt head honcho might be in for a right little earner.

" The RAF is facing a £1 million pay out to a senior officer who resigned after being ordered to discriminate against white male aviators.
Group Captain Lizzie Nicholl, the RAF's former head of recruitment, will be offered a substantial sum after an official report backed her claims of gender and ethnicity bias."

£1 million she will need the dosh as it must be hard to get by on Gp Cpt's pension. Cheers Wiggy

BBC version

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
It rumbles on seems the former recruiting Gp Cpt head honcho might be in for a right little earner.

" The RAF is facing a £1 million pay out to a senior officer who resigned after being ordered to discriminate against white male aviators.
Group Captain Lizzie Nicholl, the RAF's former head of recruitment, will be offered a substantial sum after an official report backed her claims of gender and ethnicity bias."

£1 million she will need the dosh as it must be hard to get by on Gp Cpt's pension. Cheers Wiggy

BBC version

I thought she had resigned from her post and been assigned another role, not resigned from the RAF.