• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wife, kids etc

Hi, looking for some advice really. I'm 29, married with 4 kids from NI, interested in going down the officer route. Forgive me if its a rubbish question, but how have any of you found it being in with wife, kids etc. Was going to join back when I was 19, but had a kid during 6th year and went on the back burner etc

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Once through all your professional training you can move your family into a quarter with you at your latest posting...Up until that point I don't see it as being worth it for most trades...What trades/branches are you looking for?

The quarters are reasonably priced and generally quite large...They are alloacated on the basis of the size and age of your kids so you should be looking at something quite palatial if it exists where you are sent.

Now for the sticky bit...We will be paying you for a job of work and dependant on what you choose to be it may involve a bunch of travel and deployments leaving the family at home and alone for quite long periods whilst you are potentially somewhere dangerous...This can 'wear' on the strongest of relationships after a while and in the medium term with cutbacks coming into force the people that will be left may be expected to do more with less meaning even more disturbance and upheaval.

Lots of branches will expect their junior officers to hop around the spectrum of their trade to get a fuller view of what they can do in the future...Int guys used to move around every 18 months to 2 years which again often doesn't please the wife!

I'm not trying to sound deliberately glib but I do believe that your family need to suitably brace themselves...I don't know what you do now to support them now but this is going to change yours and their world beyond recognition...it can be immensely satisfying once your through all the training but it also can open cans of worms with the other half that you may have wished to stay firmly screwed tight...

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Slight amendment to VF's post. Whereas airmen's FQs are generally allocated on the basis of number of kids, officers' FQs are generally allocated by rank.

Junior officers - 3 bed (Type 5)

Sqn Ldr - 4 bed (Type IV)

Wg Cdr-Air Cdre - larger 4 bed (Type III)

Gp Capt-Air Cdre in 'command' appointments (eg Stn Cdr) - 5 bed (Type II)

As a junior officer with 4 kids you could be allocated a Type IV if one is available.

Thanks guys, was interested in police, int or regiment. Loads to talk over with the missus, we have been together over 10 years, will need her full support if we are going to do this. Seems to be a lot of pretty good pros but a few cons to weigh up.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Regt recently went from being avaliable for applicants to just processing applicants. And with the duty rumour 15 spots on the next JROC going to junior lads from Harrier Fleet its not going to improve.