• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Knife?

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Could any professional roast carver point me in the direction of a decent carving knife please. I've had a Justinus that I bought in germany many years ago that has done well but the handles getting loose now, so it's time to treat myself.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
Prestige by Solingen (German) or a ceramic set (4) = £500 +
My ceramic carver is wicked but sharp so watch fingers.

E

enginesuck

If you really want to treat yourself i would invest in a decent salad bowl tubby !:pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm glad I asked the question as ES has just solved the problem. I'll just take that one out of my back shall I...:pDT_Xtremez_32:

And talk about pots and kettles and calling...:pDT_Xtremez_30:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not a blanding tecnician but I have always used Sabatier...pure quality but at a price...

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Not a blanding tecnician but I have always used Sabatier...pure quality but at a price...

My Sabatier are a bit crap now, I was thinking of buying some Shogun blades. I saw an advert where the guy saws the head off a nail, then "rizla" slices a tomato with it.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
My Sabatier are a bit crap now, I was thinking of buying some Shogun blades. I saw an advert where the guy saws the head off a nail, then "rizla" slices a tomato with it.

it depends which ones you get some have two parts to the metal part of the knife, eg the blade is attached to the handle part as opposed to being made in one piece which are the more expensive type. We've had them for years and they are still going well.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Mick a nick ta for that, those names threw up a lot of decent sites. The 500 notes idea is a bit pricey. I'm talking Dunlop star cookery rather than Michelin star...lol

Webbo

Sergeant
Mick a nick ta for that, those names threw up a lot of decent sites. The 500 notes idea is a bit pricey. I'm talking Dunlop star cookery rather than Michelin star...lol

Richardson of Sheffield for me, still going strong after 7 years. All knives also 1 piece of metal as mentioed above. £100.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
You what??!???

I get mine from either Matalan or Wilkinsons....

do the fcuking job when mugging someone I can tell you.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
You what??!???

I get mine from either Matalan or Wilkinsons....

do the fcuking job when mugging someone I can tell you.

Let me guess, you sharpen 'em on the door step. Well that's what my dear 'ol Grandad used to do God bless him! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

P

pie sandwich

I bought one of the Tesco professional range knives, and tbh I am impressed it has done me well over the past 2 years I ve had it.

HERE is a block of 5, in store you can buy them individually to suit your needs.

The one I have looks like THIS

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I orignally qualified as a chef and worked as a carvery chef for a couple of years.

The best type of knife for the job is one with a scalloped edge, its also known as a granton edge. My experience is that even the cheapest ones are the mutts nuts when it comes to slicing thru animal based protein.

See this link for the style of blade I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solicut-Fir...119?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1255022522&sr=1-119

How do you sharpen the ones with the scallopped edge then? I've seen them before and they do seem to cut through some of the ropey joints the mess get lumbered with sometimes with ease.

Entropy

Sergeant
How do you sharpen the ones with the scallopped edge then? I've seen them before and they do seem to cut through some of the ropey joints the mess get lumbered with sometimes with ease.

The scalloping (if that's a real word) helps to hold a cutting edge if scalloped alternately on each side. If push comes to shove you can run it down a sharpening steel to take any burrs of the edge. Personally I only used a steel as a last resort.