• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the difference?

Tino

LAC
Can any cook/chef out there please explain what the difference is between a stew and a casserole? I've asked a few people and no-one seems to have a clue.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Tino said:
Can any cook/chef out there please explain what the difference is between a stew and a casserole? I've asked a few people and no-one seems to have a clue.

LOL...no point in asking a RAF cook....there is no difference once it's been through the "Blanderiser"

O

Oh sir

Tino, I'm not a professional chef however I feel I can have a pretty good stab at this.

A Stew and a casserole are essentially the same thing. "Pieces of meat and vegetables cooked slowly together in a stock or broth".
The word stew has certainly been around for longer, hundreds of years in fact. The word casserole, originally from French, applied only to the actual cooking vessel, i.e. an earthenware pot with a lid to be used in an oven. It has however slipped into common useage in the British Isles as a generic, alternative phrase for a stew.

As an aside, many cuisines have dishes that are by definition a stew. Indian and Thai curries, and Moroccan Tagines for example are all, types of stew, albeit far removed from our own.

I hope that answers your question.

(My apologies to any RAF chef for replying on your own forum, however I'm not aware of any chefs who are members of the goat so far.)

E

enginesuck

A stew is cooked in an open pot , a casserole is cooked in the oven, in a closed pot or casserole dish.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I've got a mate called Stew, he's a good laugh to go out on the beer with.

I don't know anybody called casserole.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Oh sir said:
The word casserole, originally from French, applied only to the actual cooking vessel, i.e. an earthenware pot with a lid to be used in an oven. It has however slipped into common useage in the British Isles as a generic, alternative phrase for a stew.

Much like the word marmite. A marmite is a similar earthenware pot used in cooking and once again it is french.

It even features on the front of marmite jars.

S

steveS.

Difference between stews and casseroles

Difference between stews and casseroles

The main difference between these dishes is that a stew is served in the airmans mess, the casserole in Sgt's. mess whilst in the Officers mess you can choose between a navarin, ragout or fricasse etc. I hope that clarify's the confusion.

O

Oh sir

steveS. said:
The main difference between these dishes is that a stew is served in the airmans mess, the casserole in Sgt's. mess whilst in the Officers mess you can choose between a navarin, ragout or fricasse etc. I hope that clarify's the confusion.

Good answer! Just goes to prove my point that a stew, a casserole, a navarin, a ragout etc..... they are one and the same. Bits of meat and vegetables cooked in an oven in a stock or a broth of some kind.

And they all taste better the day after! Cooking a stew/casserole for your next dinner party? Serious tip: Cook it the day before, leave to cool. Then reheat it the next day. It has a much better depth of flavour!

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Oh sir said:
Good answer! Just goes to prove my point that a stew, a casserole, a navarin, a ragout etc..... they are one and the same. Bits of meat and vegetables cooked in an oven in a stock or a broth of some kind.

And they all taste better the day after! Cooking a stew/casserole for your next dinner party? Serious tip: Cook it the day before, leave to cool. Then reheat it the next day. It has a much better depth of flavour!

Seriously is ther any professional food magician who can verify this? I have heard it said about curries as well.

Whats the professional verdict? or an RAF chef!

O

Oh sir

Professional verdict according to Gordon Ramsay:

Stews taste beter the day after.

You need:
800g braising beef
3 tbsp plain flour
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
olive oil
200g bacon lardons
2 carrots peeled and sliced
200g small onions or shallots
thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
250 chestnut mushrooms
1 tbsp tomato puree
500ml red wine
300ml beef stock

Heat the oven to 150 degrees (Gas 2)
Cut the beef into bite sized chunks. Toss in the flour. Fry on a high heat in the olive oil for a few seconds each side to brown. Set aside.

Add the lardons to the fat. Fry for a few mins. Add the tyhme and bayleaves. Fry for 2 mins. Add the mushrooms and carrots. Fry for 2 mins more. Add the tomato puree.

Pour in the red wine. Boil. Scrape off any sediment from the pan. Add the stock. boil for a couple of minutes.

Put it in the oven for 2 and a half hours.

It's a beauty!

AndyZ

Sergeant
skevans said:
Seriously is ther any professional food magician who can verify this? I have heard it said about curries as well.

My ex father-in-law was a chef and he passed on his wisdom telling me always to let a curry sit over night then reheat before use, this apparently allows the meats to fully absorb the flavours.....not a curry fan personally so cannot attest to the accuracy of this but I have been told by other curry "lovers" that it does taste better this way..

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I hope this helps the people who have been laid awake at night over this one...

Casserole definition - this term refers to both a baking dish and the ingredients it contains. Casserole cookery is extremely convenient because the ingredients are cooked and served in the same dish. A "casserole dish" usually refers to a deep, round, ovenproof container with handles and a tight-fitting lid. It can be glass, metal, ceramic or any other heatproof material. A casserole's ingredients can include meat, vegetables, beans, rice and anything else that might seem appropriate. Often a topping such as cheese or bread crumbs is added for texture and flavor.

Stew definition (noun) - any dish that is prepared by stewing. The term is most often applied to dishes that contain meat, vegetables and a thick soup-like broth resulting from a combination of the stewing liquid and the natural juices of the food being stewed.

Stew definition (verb) - a method of cooking by which food is barely covered with liquid and simmered slowly for a long period of time in a tightly covered pot. Stewing not only tenderises tough pieces of meat but also allows the flavours of the ingredients to blend deliciously.

Taken from the UKTV food website and therefore practically the word of God...

Rock and roll :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
skevans said:

As a professional curry left over diner, I can unequivocally state curries taste better the day after, hope this helps.

P.S Stew is cooked relatively quickly in a big saucepan, casserole is cooked slowly in an oven.

R

Rustysdad

I hope this helps the people who have been laid awake at night over this one...

Casserole definition - this term refers to both a baking dish and the ingredients it contains. Casserole cookery is extremely convenient because the ingredients are cooked and served in the same dish. A "casserole dish" usually refers to a deep, round, ovenproof container with handles and a tight-fitting lid. It can be glass, metal, ceramic or any other heatproof material. A casserole's ingredients can include meat, vegetables, beans, rice and anything else that might seem appropriate. Often a topping such as cheese or bread crumbs is added for texture and flavor.

Stew definition (noun) - any dish that is prepared by stewing. The term is most often applied to dishes that contain meat, vegetables and a thick soup-like broth resulting from a combination of the stewing liquid and the natural juices of the food being stewed.

Stew definition (verb) - a method of cooking by which food is barely covered with liquid and simmered slowly for a long period of time in a tightly covered pot. Stewing not only tenderises tough pieces of meat but also allows the flavours of the ingredients to blend deliciously.

Taken from the UKTV food website and therefore practically the word of God...

Rock and roll :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Vim, I am a professional Chef of some repute (so it is said) and I can tell you that is a most excellent post. Curries, stews etc do indeed taste far better when left in the fridge for a day. So does Pizza on the carpet floor or kebab in the bed after a night out, but that is another story.....

Now that I have found this area, If anyone wants any good food Gen in future I would be happy to try and give you some info. Happy cooking.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
The stew/casserole/curry will taste like sh!te if its been left around for 3 years:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
The stew/casserole/curry will taste like sh!te if its been left around for 3 years:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Now That's Funny No really, Penfold. You should take a bow mate !!

Kebab ALWAYS tastes better in the bed ! :pDT_Xtremez_15:
And curries ALWAYS, without exception, taste better if allowed to stand :pDT_Xtremez_30: