• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Going On? People being signed on...

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've just had a couple of lads signed on past their normal engagements. Totally out of the blue and across a rank spectrum. Seems a little strange.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Retention is currently an issue, recruitment of the right calibre of people is a struggle, the RAF salary can be bettered outside, perhaps to retain what we have is now on a long term contract is a useful strategy. Job security counts for a lot for some, having a wife and kids coupled with a known income for x years can be a comfort blanket. Not everyone can leave to become chairman of ICI by next Wednesday.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Simple answer is far more people leaving than those coming in and as the economy picks up, that will only increase. There are plenty of people who are quite happy to sign on and now NEM is in, it is far more easy for individuals to be offered extensions of service - the only difference I can see is it's the RAF offering the extensions, unlike with continuance, when the individual applied.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Massive, massive manpower shortfalls across the board, with some of the larger trades having gapped posts numbering in the hundreds.

They saw the signs a long time ago, but thought that recruitment would be more than ample to fill the gaps being created (and estimated). However, recruitment is struggling so retention is the only option. Cue lots of PVRs in the hope of being offered promotion to stay in...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Might be prudent to put off signing on at the first asking...the job market is quite good currently and they know it so see if any better deals get offered by making them sweat?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Yes, rumour has it that at a secret East Anglian Air Base, 1 to 24 and another to 26. SACs to 19 as well.

If they've not offered your 3rd after 22 years but they're willing to extend, I'd say they're only after the lowly workforce not managers and that an offer won't be forthcoming. Could be wrong though...