• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to buy?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
I'm in the process of deciding what upgrades to make to the promotion sticks as my current set just don't seem to be doing it for me. All I'm going for is a new driver and possibly a 3 wood for those times when my bottle isn't up to it.

The question is, what to get. I'm thinking about either one of the latest offerings from Cobra or maybe something from the Ping G15 range. Anyone want to offer some advice, and no my budget isn't limitless so Taylor Made R9 is off limits.

bagman

LAC
Dont know if you are member of any club or not, but I would try there first, they give good advice even if you are not a member, and many now sell second hand clubs from members, or try American discount (not to buy) but you can try most clubs in the nets, and you can always buy off the internet when find the one you like.
The driver I'm using at the minute is the Mizuno Mx560 and my 3 wood is the Mizuno F60

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
FLT try here

http://www.3hammers.co.uk/Golf_Shop/

I have used them loads of times good guys and not expensive. Whole range of kit and a driving range on site to test your choices.

I have a Callaway big bertha ERC 10 degree driver and an old mizuno T-Zoid 3 and 5 woods. The Callaway I like quite a lot I'm hitting further at 50 than I was at 35 with older technology. The Mizuno's are very forgiving and the 5 wood off the deck is brill.

SgtScribbly

Corporal
http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/

Cobra Driver £99 previously £249

Since I got a new driver a year or so ago, I haven't hardly used my 3 wood. I tend to either go for the big bad boy or use a long iron or fairway/rescue wood if I need to go safe. Something to think about.

Plenty of other deals on there

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You can spend £1 or £5000 on your clubs but if your Shaft/loft/lie and not fitted you will not get your moneys worth. Get yourself booked for a driver fitting session, you will not be tied in to buy a club, you only need to walk out the shop knowing what criteria is best for your swing type.

If your Handicap is 10-28 you wont go wrong with that £99 but the shaft, offset and loft are critical to get the best out of them.

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Brilliant advice from Sospan, don't buy because of looks or price, you'll be doing yourself no favours. I've just got some new irons (Ping G-15's, fantastic) when I was fitted for them I tried about 5 different makes with all different shaft, loft and lie combinations and it just happened that the Ping's were the best. I'm in the process of getting a new driver and possibly some fairway woods, but I'm letting my local Pro advice me and as I'm a member of the club, all fittings and advice are free.
Basically, try out as many different drivers as you can and listen to any advice given.
The ex assitant pro at my club once worked at a well known golf chain and he said to me that they tried to sell the most expensive club's (no shocks) telling the punter anything to get them to buy them. You may pay a few quid more at a Pro shop, but the service will be so much better.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Thank's for the advice chaps. Will deffo be getting fitted as I think a regular shaft may be a bit too flexible for me. I have a swaying towards Cobra as I have a baffler and it's awesome as a go to club. May have to try the latest web craze of try before you buy.