• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What the **** is the RAF Swim Test? Advice

• Thread starter Revolting Peasant
  • Start date
R

Revolting Peasant

??????????????????????????????????:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Having just done this I can confirm it is 50m in a grow bag followed by 3 mins treading water.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having just done this I can confirm it is 50m in a grow bag followed by 3 mins treading water.

Then you have to haul yourself out of the deep end (not using the steps) unassisted...

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Then you have to haul yourself out of the deep end (not using the steps) unassisted...

Last one I did was 100m in 95/coveralls/growbag etc using any stroke followed by the 3 min tread. Oh, and no touching the sides or bottom. I know air stewards have to do the test as well so maybe it's half for them.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Last one I did was 100m in 95/coveralls/growbag etc using any stroke followed by the 3 min tread. Oh, and no touching the sides or bottom. I know air stewards have to do the test as well so maybe it's half for them.

Apparently they have to swim 25 m then dish out weak lemon squash without touching the bottom then a further 25m followed by throwing out 2/3 empty white cardboard boxes, after climbing out by the ladder where two other stewards will wish them a nice day with a fake smile, they have to pack a small wheeled case and mince around in a self important manner in a totally unwarranted grobag.

back on topic I did it 3 years ago and it was 100m in grobag then 3 mins treading water then climb out unassisted.

B

Bucc Boy

I suspect you should have done 100m in a grow bag (or equivalent) any stroke (apart from on your back), tread water for 3 mins and then get out of the pool unassisted.

Luckily we had one of those highly intelligent (Higher pay band) PTI Cpls who worked out in seconds that, in a 25m pool we would have to do 2 lengths to achieve the required 100m!!.......No we didn't tell the c0ck:pDT_Xtremez_28:, well not until we were walking to the changing room anyway.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Not necessarily a C0ck as there are two types of swim tests according to AP 3342 leaflet 503.

The Role Related Swim Test applies to Rocks, Aeromed, MAMS, Stewards, PTIs, PedOs and anyone who would basically be flying over the sea on a regular basis. This requires them to do 100m.

For the rest of us, inclusing those who are required for sea service, it is the 50m test. Usually done if we have some sort of water based AT or team building planned.

Soupdragon

Piermaster
Did my 1st swimming test at some public baths in Weston Super Mud, no problems - nice and easy, no problems as i was a qualified lifeguard anyways.

Starts my MBC course at a secret non flying base in Devon (now closed) and the PTI (an old Sgt with a gammy leg on his last tour) says one day.. "ok, 9am tomorrow, all you lot in your swiming gear outside the accom block"

Come the appointed time 6 lil white bodies turning blue in the October rain are instructed... "see that rock over there?" he points to a chunk of rock just breaking the surface of a freezing cold Plymouth Sound. We nod and shiver some more...

"Right then, off ya go.... there and back, no stopping. Last one back gets fined 50p for the gym tea swindle!!"

2 weeks later we are presented with our RAF Swimming Test Certificate which stated that we had done the test in Central Park swimming pool!!!

He was the sort that would send us on a run to the end of the breakwater and back and then phone the SCAF to ask them to keep an eye on us and report if any of the lads didnt actually make it to the end.

B

Bucc Boy

Not necessarily a C0ck as there are two types of swim tests according to AP 3342 leaflet 503.

The Role Related Swim Test applies to Rocks, Aeromed, MAMS, Stewards, PTIs, PedOs and anyone who would basically be flying over the sea on a regular basis. This requires them to do 100m.

For the rest of us, inclusing those who are required for sea service, it is the 50m test. Usually done if we have some sort of water based AT or team building planned.

No he was a c0ck. When we told him at the end he felt like a right plonker as he had wanted us to do 100m. (Stewards as well as Air Eng's and GE's alike!?)

elgeeh

LAC
Raf Regt swim test:

100m in CS95
2 mins treading water
Get out un-assisted
Get back in and tow your oppo 25m then he tows you 25m.

Last time I did it I had to tell the lad I was towing to slow down as he was going faster than I could swim.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
Raf Regt swim test:

100m in CS95
2 mins treading water
Get out un-assisted
Get back in and tow your oppo 25m then he tows you 25m.

Last time I did it I had to tell the lad I was towing to slow down as he was going faster than I could swim.
When I did it at Honington in July it was 100m in denims followed by 50m pushing/pulling a bergan, 3 mins treading water then get out unassisted. No towing oppo's at all.