• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happens if...?

MattBombHead

Sergeant
First of all, I am NOT trying to get out of my OOA, just asking the question.

I have been pinged for to go 'Down South' in Dec 07 (Res starts Aug 07), and now 'She who wears the trousers' is getting a bit broody, and appears to want hordes of junior armourers running around, potentially with her being pregnant by August...

So, my dear pen pushing friends, whats the score? Can i be sent away whilst she is 'with child'? Or will PMA just drop me down the list until such time as i am once again eligable?

Any help in avoiding the earache i am now experiencing is much appreciated.

:pDT_Xtremez_40:

sorry

sorry

In my experiences (not a scribbler)
Unless you’re downgraded you’re going OOA. The RAF are getting better, your now entitled to time off when the baby is born and they do try and get you to the birth, but I have come across cases of lads being flown back and the wife is already in labor.
They may bring you forward if you apply for special circumstances.

Don’t mean to put a downer on such a happy decision, happy trying!

G

Gladiator

My daughter was 4 weeks old when I went away, I was told I had to either go away then or for her first Xmas! ****** Still it got me out of changing 4 million nappies!

PSF Angel

LAC
PMA can send you away while your Mrs is pregnant but if you are due to go OOA over the period that the baby would be due you can apply to have your DWR deferred through your drafter. (I think it's AP3392 Vol 2 Leaflet 1555 Annex B. If this is the right one then I have been doing this for too long!) You will need to provide proof of your wife's pregnancy in the form of a MatB1 or doctors headed letter which most doctors won't normally commit to until week 20 of the pregnancy anyway.
Regulations still in dark ages though so only wives qualify at present.

Hope this was of some help and that all goes well for you.

Last edited:
E

enginesuck

It is a pain ..... will be away when my nipper is seven weeks old. Very hard considering all the family is 500 miles away as well ! Ho hum.... Just got to hope all is well.... Im sure a few years ago fathers with very young families ie under six months might have been given some form of grace from dets....

At least its not as bad as the army....... yet.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
may have changed?

may have changed?

I too had buddies who went down London way for 4 months, and even though they were on shift and went home for their days off. It counted as a DWR. One even got LSSA (as was) because he was 200 miles from home or whatever the rules were then.

Back to the kiddy front. They may ask you to go early if you want to be home for the birth but guess what, you will then jump up the list for next time. Or you can defer but get your bags packed as soon as the bundle of fun arrives.

(Can we all get the violins out please, are they ready to play?) I missed over a year of my lads first 4 on this earth. You can't beat the bluey that goes....."he said his first word today...it was daddy" or " he's got his first tooth through"

All the best mate but I found my priorities have suddenly changed over the last few years....

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
The rules are 3 months before the nominal date of birth (due to the possibility of Bombhear Jr making an early appearance) and one month after the birth (allowing the counting of fingers and toes and changing a few nappies! :pDT_Xtremez_30: ) but it needs to go through PSF at the earliest date so that it gives PMA a chance to sort out the next in line to go. Problem is if you are OOA and the worst hits, then there is no scope for getting you home before the 6 month point (Happened to my eldest and her hubby was OOA. That was not a fun weekend) So deferral is definitely the preferred option.

PSFbeatch

Corporal
The rules are 3 months before the nominal date of birth (due to the possibility of Bombhear Jr making an early appearance) and one month after the birth (allowing the counting of fingers and toes and changing a few nappies! :pDT_Xtremez_30: ) but it needs to go through PSF at the earliest date so that it gives PMA a chance to sort out the next in line to go. Problem is if you are OOA and the worst hits, then there is no scope for getting you home before the 6 month point (Happened to my eldest and her hubby was OOA. That was not a fun weekend) So deferral is definitely the preferred option.

I recently had a guy whose girlfriend is due in April and he was due to deploy in Dec. He wanted to defer but he wasnt permitted to as he wasnt married.

I personally think its better to go away during the pregnancy, would you really want to go away when your baby is just 4 little weeks old???

PSF Angel

LAC
I personally think its better to go away during the pregnancy, would you really want to go away when your baby is just 4 little weeks old???

Would you really? Damn right! No sleepless nights, 4 months of 'wetting the baby's head', and it doesn't do much before 6 months old anyway apart from sh1t and cry for no reason.

PSFbeatch

Corporal
Would you really? Damn right! No sleepless nights, 4 months of 'wetting the baby's head', and it doesn't do much before 6 months old anyway apart from sh1t and cry for no reason.

Yes, I would, really. But then again, as Im female, I would be on the recieving and, I would really love it if my husband went to 'wet the babies head' for 4 months, if he had the opportunity to go during pregnancy.

If he did and that was his opinion when he got home I know one thing, he would find his crap outside the house and I would have moved.

E

enginesuck

Yes, I would, really. But then again, as Im female, I would be on the recieving and, I would really love it if my husband went to 'wet the babies head' for 4 months, if he had the opportunity to go during pregnancy.

If he did and that was his opinion when he got home I know one thing, he would find his crap outside the house and I would have moved.

Im away for 2 1/2 months very soon... divorce here i come !!!

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
I recently had a guy whose girlfriend is due in April and he was due to deploy in Dec. He wanted to defer but he wasnt permitted to as he wasnt married.

Similiar to my experience. Was due to go OOA at end of Jul XX, but nipper was due in Aug XX. Alas, major problems arose during late May/early Jun XX and ended up on compassionate for 4 weeks (It was that major a drama). Nipper ended up being born in mid Jun XX (8 weeks early) and in Intensive Care (Hospital was 200 miles away from home and 400 miles away from posted Unit) for 2 plus weeks. Wife and nipper was home a glorious 3 days before I had to depart for sunnier climes.

On reflection, I could have been a c*ck and had the extra week at home, but I decided that it was better for me to be away during the first few months of my nipper's life rather than trying to be a barrack room lawyer. I was just happy to have the Mrs and nipper home safe and sound rather than muck about trying to get an extra week at home.

So my view is be at home during the pre-natal, but be prepared to Foxtrot Oscar, to some godforsaken place, at the earliest opportunity. Plus, it helped to have a cracking boss who was willing to try and understand the p**h that I was going through while trying to ensure that not only was my natural child was safe and sound, but also that my step-kids were being properly looked after.

Step forward Sqn Ldr A**y Calame. A man that deserved his promotion for not only being a switched on cookie, but also for looking after his troops. I know that OPSEC may require the name to be removed but I wanted to ensure that the rest of our community knew of at least one good Rock Officer.

PSFbeatch

Corporal
Similiar to my experience. Was due to go OOA at end of Jul XX, but nipper was due in Aug XX. Alas, major problems arose during late May/early Jun XX and ended up on compassionate for 4 weeks (It was that major a drama). Nipper ended up being born in mid Jun XX (8 weeks early) and in Intensive Care (Hospital was 200 miles away from home and 400 miles away from posted Unit) for 2 plus weeks. Wife and nipper was home a glorious 3 days before I had to depart for sunnier climes.

On reflection, I could have been a c*ck and had the extra week at home, but I decided that it was better for me to be away during the first few months of my nipper's life rather than trying to be a barrack room lawyer. I was just happy to have the Mrs and nipper home safe and sound rather than muck about trying to get an extra week at home.

So my view is be at home during the pre-natal, but be prepared to Foxtrot Oscar, to some godforsaken place, at the earliest opportunity. Plus, it helped to have a cracking boss who was willing to try and understand the p**h that I was going through while trying to ensure that not only was my natural child was safe and sound, but also that my step-kids were being properly looked after.

Step forward Sqn Ldr A**y Calame. A man that deserved his promotion for not only being a switched on cookie, but also for looking after his troops. I know that OPSEC may require the name to be removed but I wanted to ensure that the rest of our community knew of at least one good Rock Officer.

Of course, if there are any problems in the pregnancy then, understandably, I would have not hae a problem if my OH went OOA after the birth! But I other wise I would have been pretty peed off

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
There is an unwritten rule that you shouldn't be sent OOA if your OH is pregnant or for 6 months after the birth. In reality it depends on the turnround time for your trade - drivers and chefs have sh!t it.

Personally, I'd advise anyone in that situation to get a biff chit for depression.

The good news is that you now only qualify for DWR credits on operational dets, so 4 months on a FISP backfill doesn't count.