• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do Scopies actually do???

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
As the Scopies now are doing the Ops job on the mythical 54(R) Squadron, it must be time to ask just exactly what scopies do???

Wonder if they still write backwards

F

Fablon biff chit

Why 54 (R)? What's the significance of the "R"?

Is this sqn just at Waddo?

I

insideinfoman

Why we talking about Scopies on the Ops Bod thread or are they part of it?

Just a question thats all

I

insideinfoman

No Problems, would be very interesting to know, especially as they think they can do our jobs..

HotspurIDO

I'm not fecking BRANCH!
Sadly, there's no longer a need to write backwards ... Sad because it used to be such fun to see <ahem> large fronted lumpy jumpers reaching high to write at the top of the tote smearing the chinagraph below at chest height. Funny what makes you smile.

Yes 54 (R) is at Waddo, for the spotters its the new ISTAR training squadron and the 'R' stands for 'Reserve' ... and dont worry, once the paperwork's sorted out there will be a TG9 doing the ops job ... well, it's obviously below a scopey! :D

As for what scopies actually do ...? Best kept secret in NATO. I still haven't worked it out after 14 years (but then, I may be a little slow!) Personally speaking, all my time has been spent avoiding the bunkers ...

R

Retard Retard

Ah writing backwards!!! :(

Back in the 'Cold War' days I remember the TG12 Scope Dopes use to spend 7 weeks learning how to do that at Boulmer, us TG9 babies just picked it up in a couple of hours. I must admit it did screw your brain up and I am sure it has had a traumatic effect on my ability to rite or spill preperly sonce.

DI- Nice thought about the Stinkies rubbing themselves with chinagraph wax, you know how to tease an old air trafficker. :D

Y

You Can Call Me Al

DI- Nice thought about the Stinkies rubbing themselves with chinagraph wax, you know how to tease an old air trafficker.
Not always a nice thought!

a TG9 doing the ops job ... well, it's obviously below a scopey!
A TG9 - that'd be right- save money on employing 6 TG12 to do the same thing (badly)! :p

R

Retard Retard

YCCMA - In the words of Freddie Mercury "Fat Bottomed girls make the rockin' world go around" :D

(Except for the really ugly Stinkies from TG12 who are hidden deep underground rubbing chinagraph wax or stuck on an E3 at FL350 somewhere over the North Sea eating pies). :rolleyes:

Y

You Can Call Me Al

or stuck on an E3 at FL350 somewhere over the North Sea eating pies
I hope the windows are open! (Might get a bit guffy otherwise).

Seriously though, to answer the original q from Sir Salty - it isn't a case of writing backwards; I think you'll find that on interview at the AFCO they were the ones found to BE backwards and were therefore pushed towards TG12. Well that's what I was told.... :confused:

O

oldhamboy1967

What Do Scopies Do?

What Do Scopies Do?

SirSaltyHelmet said:
As the Scopies now are doing the Ops job on the mythical 54(R) Squadron, it must be time to ask just exactly what scopies do???

Wonder if they still write backwards

It's a new one on me, I wasn't aware of anybody doing Ops jobs - we've had people doing Mission Briefing at Waddo for a while. But DI is obviously in the know!!!

A

alpha-omega

Tg9 @ 54(r)

Tg9 @ 54(r)

I have just come off Ex with a TG9 Cpl who was already working on 54(R), although they haven't actually got any ac yet, it's still a TG9 post.

Flopsie

LAC
54 (R) and 5 (AC) confusion.

54 (R) and 5 (AC) confusion.

Me thinks you are talking about 5(AC) sqn, who are indeed still awaiting their ac. Whereas 54(R) share one of the mushroom type ac from the other 2 sqns.

S

Standards

Retard Retard said:
DI- Nice thought about the Stinkies rubbing themselves with chinagraph wax, you know how to tease an old air trafficker. :D

Dear lord, wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of a secret santa from you! :D

Standards!

R

Retard Retard

Standards me ol' china.

Correct!

I can promise you would not want a Pressie from me! :D

J Y Kelly

Corporal
Retard Retard said:
I can promise you would not want a Pressie from me!

I didn't think you were allowed Secret Santa's after last years major sense of humour failure by one of your colleagues.

R

Retard Retard

JYK- You would think so but the opposite happened, Secret Santa was 'highly encouraged' this year - as it should be! :)

O

oldhamboy1967

Flopsie said:
Me thinks you are talking about 5(AC) sqn, who are indeed still awaiting their ac. Whereas 54(R) share one of the mushroom type ac from the other 2 sqns.

So now we'll have 8, 23 and 54(R)? For 7 aircraft? When I was at Waddo it worked fine just calling it STS instead of 23. Are we just keeping sqn numbers alive for the sake of it? :confused:

oldhamboy1967 said:
So now we'll have 8, 23 and 54(R)? For 7 aircraft? When I was at Waddo it worked fine just calling it STS instead of 23. Are we just keeping sqn numbers alive for the sake of it? :confused:

I think it is just a way fo getting/keeping more manpower. Waddo Ops has more staff than Brize Ops, and all they do is aircraft up, aircraft down and the odd visitor. They only 'flight follow at night', the sqns plans officers do it at all other times (often phoned up a night too).

Someone at Waddo must have some dirt on the people who hold the purse strings.