• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wearing A's on uniform

T

top_man

What's the crack with having to wear 'A''s on our uniform, and mess dress. I thought is was a one concept air force. The TA dont have to wear any additional embelishments on their uniforms ??

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Not proud then

Not proud then

I think the A's have gone off the airmans number one but still exist for officers, on the collar somewhere.

Would have thought you'd be proud to prove you are more committed than many a regular civi and service, two lives in one..

B

Bill Bones

I heard this too. But my ones came back from the tailors with them on. It's 6 and half a dozen really. Not something that bothers me too much either way.

T

top_man

I am proud to be an auggie, but it is too easy to identify us when lying on the floor of the bar. Seriously, it was just a query really, having mates in the TA who thought it was stupid wearing the 'A''s. We get on great with our regular counterparts.

Sandbag

LAC
Please wear it with pride, as there have been a great many airmen who have made the ultimate sacrifice whilst wearing the A on their uniform.

Sandbag..

Fearless Leader

Corporal
Totally agree with Sandbag. My grandad flew Wellingtons and Lancs wearing VR, and I wasn't happy when we lost them. Army have a different setup and long may that be the case, but we're the RAF for a reason.

T

The_Dark_Lord

A's

A's

Gotta admit, I used to think that the A's were pretty crap... used only to distinguish us from our 'regular' colleagues. Now I'm pretty proud to wear them.. . and as we've seen over the past few days, we're good enough to live and die alongside the regulars.

Sad to see the deaths of three of our RAF Reg buddies...

The_Dark_Lord

T

top_man

I am proud to wear them, it was just the comments I got the other week on a parade. Sad to, to see an auggie pay the ultimate sacrifice.

I see it as a badge of honour, personally - although I didn't when I started. I think I changed view when I saw how much effort auggies put in to their training as well as doing another job (usually). There's also no shortage of volunteers for deployment when the question is asked every so often, so we have the commitment too.

If you get chance, watch Battle of Britain (yeah I know, not exactly a historical document but close enough) and see how many you can count, I'd say it was around 50/50 on the ground crew. We've been around for a long time and will still be here when most of the regs have PVR'd ;)