• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VW T4 advice

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Any Goaters own one? Looking to dip my toe in the bus world & a T4 1.9TD looks the best/cheapest option. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Any Goaters own one? Looking to dip my toe in the bus world & a T4 1.9TD looks the best/cheapest option. Thoughts?
Had one (well two different ones) for 20 years.

Don`t get a 1.9TD they`re painfully slow and you can`t do a lot with them.
Get a 2.5TDi much better starting place and more you can do to increase the power, g/box ratios, etc.

They come in different varieties...2.5TD red i, only available from abroad, 150hp; 2.5TD silver i, 102hp but modifiable to 150ish; 2.5TD blue i, 88hp but modifiable to 150ish and you can open up the g/box for a more useful 5th gear.
The 1.9TD is only 60-odd horses, and not fit for modern day roads, eg pulling out from lay-by`s etc.

Prices reflect demand though, so if your cash strapped you might not have a choice. They do hold their values very well. I`d give it till after summer, when the prices will ease, same theory as buying a convertable.
Where you are in the country will also affect price, Cornwall`s are about a grand more than oop North.

Don`t be afraid to do your own conversion, either. Apart from putting a pop-top roof on, everything is doable by a muppet, and even then thats just having a big enough dry place and the balls to make a huge whole in your new beastie.

Try the T4 forum, its a wealth of info.

Out else, happy to help.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Thanks for the info. Very useful. My plan is to get a panel van in good nick & convert it slow time to a day van just how I want.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The secrets getting a good base.
Don`t be afraid of high mileages. With a FSH they`ll do stella miles. And once you get into it, and finances willing, you`ll be changing a lot of the stuff anyway, such as shockers and springs. (No springs on the front, its a torsion bar.)
If its a dark colour, i`d recommend air-con, its just about the only thing you can`t retro fit. Sunroofs, sliding windows, electric windows in the front are all available from t`tinterweb.
Rust isn`t a killer, just surface rust round the wheelarches which is easily sorted.

German e-bay is always worth a look. Especially as someone in a blue suit will know about importing and the reqd paperwork. Plenty of shiny parts that`ll have you drooling as well.