• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vulcan Painting on eBay

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The man from Westinghouse, he says yes, on the provision that you pay for the radar, as the Argies haven’t.
Off Topic Similar thing for the Argie merc 4wd that 18 Sqn used to use as a runabout. Tried to get parts for it from mercedies only to find that the vehicle hadnt been paid for. Off Topic

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Realistically all they needed to do was threaten to send one to dump a bucket of sunshine on argie land. now a days we could do it from a nice sub parked of the coast waiting for the green light. bet it scared them sh1teless

S

Seymour Tw@tt

Hell of a post there MAINJAFAD!

My point is that for all the efforts involved, the results of getting one bomb on the runway (which was then quickly fixed anyway), it simply wasn't worth it. Can you imagine the costs in money, manpower and planning nowadays? Hence the sub-Tomahawk solution.

All it proved to me (and many RAF bods at the time) is that it was the one opportunity to use a Vulcan in anger for the one and only time in its career - the tactics were straight out of Bomber Harris's book, really. An archaic job for an archaic aircraft out of its role. If you look at the AAR plans alone, that makes for brain f@rt material on its own...

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Hell of a post there MAINJAFAD!

My point is that for all the efforts involved, the results of getting one bomb on the runway (which was then quickly fixed anyway), it simply wasn't worth it. Can you imagine the costs in money, manpower and planning nowadays? Hence the sub-Tomahawk solution.

All it proved to me (and many RAF bods at the time) is that it was the one opportunity to use a Vulcan in anger for the one and only time in its career - the tactics were straight out of Bomber Harris's book, really. An archaic job for an archaic aircraft out of its role. If you look at the AAR plans alone, that makes for brain f@rt material on its own...

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Well you do have to remember that the NBS (Navigation and Bombing System) out of the V-bombers used the H2S Mark 9 radar. H2S Mark 1 was first used by 7 Sqn Shorts Stirlings in Feb 1943, right out of the Bomber Harris era. The V-bombers were designed to drop nukes pure and simple. The first conventional bombing done by V-bombers was by Valiants operating out of Luqa on Malta against Egyptian airfields by day during the Suez operation. The results were to say not that spectacular. The Victors did a bit of bombing in Borneo during the 1960’s (I think). But as you have stated it was the Vulcan’s chance to get it’s bit of glory and they took it. The bombing missions were a waste of time and fuel as far as I’m concerned.

The anti radar attacks on the other hand were an attempt to deal with a major thorn in the side of our operations, namely the TPS-43 radar operated by the 2nd Grupo de Vigilancia y Control del Espacio Aéreo (2nd Aerospace Warning and Control Group) of the Argentinean airforce located on Canopus Hill near Stanley. As well as giving threat warnings to their aircraft, it was also responsible for detecting and calling in the attacks on the landing ships at Bluff Cove. It was also the main reason that the Atlantic Conveyor was sunk (thanks to the radar tracking the routes of the Sea Harriers to and from the Carriers, though Woodward should also get part of the blame for that disaster, as that ship should have been treated as an Aircraft Carrier (which it was) and not part of a screen of RFA’s and supply ships that Woodward used to hide the carriers behind. The Exocet that hit her was in fact fired at a frigate, which unlike Sheffield, picked up the attacking aircraft and fired Chaff. The missile flew though the chaff cloud and oh look radar return of big ship loaded with helicopters, lots of bombs and half of the air force’s inventory, lets attack that prize target).

The Argie radar also warned Argentine aircraft of Sea Dart launches from the Type 42 Destroyers when they took long range shots at Argentine aircraft trying to get into Stanley or the night bombing mission by their Canberras on San Carlos, thus allowing the aircraft to evade the missiles. Done a bit of checking on goggle and the damage to the TPS-43 on the 5th mission was shrapnel damage on the waveguide from the transmitter to the antenna. (Waveguide is a bit of square tube that carries the radio energy from the big electronic valve that makes the radio waves to the aerial, a bit like the coax cable into the back of the TV). As stated it was excellent piece of kit (I’ve actually seen it in operation, as it deployed to my unit for a couple of weeks, purple displays (the normal RAF ones are orange or green) and the operations cabin was like a freezer. But as I always say to Scopies, Air conditioning on radar is to keep the equipment cool, not to keep you warm.

Last edited:
W

wgaf

It was also the main reason that the Atlantic Conveyor was sunk (thanks to the radar tracking the routes of the Sea Harriers to and from the Carriers, though Woodward should also get part of the blame for that disaster, as that ship should have been treated as an Aircraft Carrier (which it was) and not part of a screen of RFA’s and supply ships that Woodward used to hide the carriers behind.

Not strictly true fella, Atlantic Conveyor had transferred all A/C bar the helis, 5 Chinooks and 6 Wessex, off the ship before it was struck, one of the chinooks was airborne at the time. The helis were going to be transferred at a later date to transfer troops around the island, the main reason the Army lads had to yomp across the Islands was because of the loss of these choppers.The Conveyor was never classed as an Aircraft Carrier as it didn't have the facilities of one......semantics really. 12 were killed when she was hit including the Captain who I think was posthumously awarded a medal, can't remember which one it'll probably be easy to find out.
Good book on it called 'The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor' by Charles Drought, don't know if you can still get it, but it's an interesting read, if you're into that sort of stuff.

K

katinthehat

Going back to the original part of this thread - the painting.
It is a very nice piece of artwork - and the price is reasonable for an oil.
We have a couple of Robert Taylors - one of which may be a collectors piece - that I picked up from a car boot for a tenner!! So profit made no matter what!!
One is of The Last Phantom, and that is a nice piece.
My parents also bought us a Coulson of the Lanc for Christmas - and it looks stunning on the sitting room wall.
There are some excellent military artists out there - and some of the work is excellent. Originals are worthy of such a price tag.

<takes off art critic head!!!And before anyone says I don't know what I am talking about - in this field I am afraid to admit that I do!!!>:pDT_Xtremez_35:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Going back to the original part of this thread - the painting.
It is a very nice piece of artwork - and the price is reasonable for an oil.
We have a couple of Robert Taylors - one of which may be a collectors piece - that I picked up from a car boot for a tenner!! So profit made no matter what!!
One is of The Last Phantom, and that is a nice piece.
My parents also bought us a Coulson of the Lanc for Christmas - and it looks stunning on the sitting room wall.
There are some excellent military artists out there - and some of the work is excellent. Originals are worthy of such a price tag.

<takes off art critic head!!!And before anyone says I don't know what I am talking about - in this field I am afraid to admit that I do!!!>:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Nothing wrong with having aircraft paintings on the wall, I've got Mike Rondot's Hawk Country on my living room wall (cost £85 quid framed, been there and done that for real while based on Anglsey in the early 1990's), the other two cabbagey prints hanging up in the house are one produced by the Neatishead Radar musuem showing different radars and fighters from 1938 to the mid 1990's, some of the radar's and display systems I've worked on. The other is the poster that me and I look like Kevin Consor (1) did for the last Coltishall Families day, looks really good framed. Still got to get a frame for my Winters day at Coltishall, a painting of 257 Sqn Hurricanes on the ground at Colt in late 1940. The aircraft in the front being that of one of the best RAF fighter pilots of the war, Bob Stamford Tuck.