• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vietnam Medals

M

M_for_Mother

Heard a story today about a brit soldier who served as a US Advisor in Vietnam on lend-lease and was awarded a Green & White Vietnam Medal by UK Gov. At first cut, this seems to stink like BS from a mile away!

Can anyone confirm or deny? Some major walting going on I suspect.

MFM

T

Twonston Pickle

As I understand it, you can be awarded medals by other nations but may not necessarily receive the permission to actually wear them on your uniform. Does sound a little bit like a walt though; I thought both brits and french had pulled out of the area completely prior to the USAs cock-up. What would they need a Brit advisor for anyway?

B

Bombe Suprise

Gongs Galore

Gongs Galore

I agree with TP - during Gulf 1 Brits were awarded medals by the Saudis and Kuwaitis. You weren't allowed to wear them officially (although I think one was approved eventually) and some of those who received them had an 'unofficial' medal ribbon on the reverse of the No.5 lapel.

S

Standards

Highly unlikely that a British Serviceman would have served in Vietnam on an exchange post as the British Government was against the USA's involvement. To then allow a British Officer to actively serve would have been against Britains neutrality. British personnel did aide Australian Forces in the art of jungle warfare but this was not "in country", but in Australia. Any medal awarded to the Australians would have the Queens head on it and could be worn by a British Serviceman.

Perhaps I should get out more! But it is nice to post without bitching about the trade, for a change.

Standards!

C

cockneyrock

I know an old boss of mine was serving at Saigon airfield as a junior officer providing FP advice for a period of the Vietnam War. It was at the same time as the RAF was staging through Saigon on it's was elsewhere. I have no reason not to believe him as he was a complete maniac and no matter how far fetched his stories might have seemed, he could prove all of them! Also, he had been detached from Hong Kong where he was posted at the time.

The following link offers some interesting comments:

British Small Wars

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
I remember my gramps telling me stories along long time ago about the Brits being in Vietnam when he was in the Army, so maybe the stories aren't that far fetched.

Any Brit 'advisor's' who served in Vietnam are entitled to a 'South Vietnam' bar for their GSM '62. This is the only medal ever issued for wear by British service personnel (attached to the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV)), any others awarded cannot be worn in uniform.

Only 68 were issued in total (including Australian personnel who were entitled).

There was a Royal Signals Sgt working at RAF Gutersloh in the early 80's who had a GSM with Vietnam bar on it. Have no reason to believe he was a Walt - came from a very distinguished background.

A

Aaron O'Dickydido

CSM Clasp Vietnam

CSM Clasp Vietnam

I once knew a RAF policeman who said that he served at the British Embassy in Saigon during the late 60's. He wore the '62 medal with clasp 'Vietnam'. He did not appear to be any kind of Mr Mitty.

T

TDJ

M_for_Mother said:
Heard a story today about a brit soldier who served as a US Advisor in Vietnam on lend-lease and was awarded a Green & White Vietnam Medal by UK Gov. At first cut, this seems to stink like BS from a mile away!

Can anyone confirm or deny? Some major walting going on I suspect.

MFM

When serving at Chicksands there was an Int Corps Lt Col who served during the Vietnam War as an LO to the US Army - he had the medal as well