• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Typhoon II

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I live in an area of the country which due to its uniqueness from above is used as a training area. Plenty of Tucano`s from the local field, plenty of Tornado`s singles and pairs. Come that time of the year and a few Eagle`s and F-18`s. We also get the odd Typhoon occasionally passing, from navigation exercises to high speed transits.
Last summer we had a low level (500`-1000` no more) Typhoon tooling around at low speed (150-200kts-ish). What was most pronounced was a very low growl, one of them basses that shakes your bones as much as that you can actually hear. The closest i could say would be the noise from the gunports on a Mustang.

So Goaters, name that noise. Is it gunports, compressor, some other gubbins, or am i just accelerating towards madness ???

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
If it was coming towards you, it was probably nosier than after it passed. Always seemed weird stood a couple of feet away from the back end, and still able to hear someone talking next to you, yet go near the intakes (and the APU), and it's a completely different ballgame.