• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Transfer from the RN?

Matelot

LAC
Hi Crabs.

I'm currently serving in the RN as a Marine Engineering Technician Submariner, and have done for 4 years. I'm currently selected for promotion to Leading hand (Corporal) however...

I have been blessed with a few welfare related issues in the past year and have been dealing with family life. I've just now started getting back on track, and going under water for 3 months of the year with no contact is no longer feasible as it once was.

I've got a friend (believe it or not) who is in the RAF as an airmen who seems to really enjoy it, and quite frankly sold it to me.

I've lost a lot of love for my branch of the forces and in particular my job. I've done a bit of research and the idea of becoming a Logistics Officer seems really interesting and fulfilling.

What I'm really interested to find out before I bring this to CoC is if this is at all a reality or option that I could possibly take or if anyone here knows of this process or knows of anyone who has done it?

Appreciate your time reading this fellas.

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Firstly - you should have tried harder at school, then you might not have ended up a fish head in the first place. ;)

Seriously though - If you've got an RAF AFCO near to wherever your sardine can is parked up - go in and have a chat with them, Your CoC doesn't need to know at that stage and they will be able able to give you all of the most up to date gen.

We have a few AFCO bods on here, so hopefully one will pop up and be able to give you some more pointers.

Its never too late to have seen the light (blue) mate ;)

good luck :)

Matelot

LAC
Firstly - you should have tried harder at school, then you might not have ended up a fish head in the first place. ;)

Seriously though - If you've got an RAF AFCO near to wherever your sardine can is parked up - go in and have a chat with them, Your CoC doesn't need to know at that stage and they will be able able to give you all of the most up to date gen.

We have a few AFCO bods on here, so hopefully one will pop up and be able to give you some more pointers.

Its never too late to have seen the light (blue) mate ;)

good luck :)

Cheers for the reply FOMz.

If I tried really hard at school, I'd be a cam girl in my room making copious amounts of poor choices so I don't think I've done that bad so far!

Yeah I may well have a chat with an AFCO in my city. I'd like to go there with a bit of substance however and not leave there with anything I can't take with me to my CoC. Hopefully a recruiter can point me in the right direction.

Yeah, could definitely do with a bit of sun for a change. You don't know the NSN for service factor 50 suncream by any chance?

Cheers again.

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
Official line is...

Submit approval to transfer form (BR7) to Fleet. Nothing can take place until this approved and sanctioned by Air.

However you can, in the meantime, visit your local AFCO and sit the Airmen Selection Test/Computer Based Aptitude Test to confirm eligibility for your chosen branch.

If you plan to commission then you will be a Direct Entrant and compete with everyone else for selection at OASC.

If you would like any further info, PM me 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matelot

LAC
Official line is...

Submit approval to transfer form (BR7) to Fleet. Nothing can take place until this approved and sanctioned by Air.

However you can, in the meantime, visit your local AFCO and sit the Airmen Selection Test/Computer Based Aptitude Test to confirm eligibility for your chosen branch.

If you plan to commission then you will be a Direct Entrant and compete with everyone else for selection at OASC.

If you would like any further info, PM me 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great, cheers Norman. I'll have a read through Br7 this week. In the interim I'll speak to an advisor about the aptitude tests.

Cheers.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi Bud. How old are you as a matter of interest? That sometimes has a bearing on matters.

If you have any knowledge or experience of acoustics then consider 'Weapons Systems Operator (ACO)'. Link is HERE. The picture in the link is of another variety of WSOp but dig around to find the variety I describe. It'll get you close to the pay that you are used to and I know they are very short of people as we expect the brand new P8 to arrive next year and crew for these takes about 2 years to churn out. Alternatively if your trade had you working with electronics then the WSOp(EW) branch might be for you.

Hi mate,

As others have said there is an official route but, all applications happen online. You can apply and then the AFCO would submit a P2P with the Navy to proceed. but defo have a chat with your CoC.

Age wise if your going for Logs Officer then the upper age limit has risen recently from 30 up to 48!
As you are currently serving you would be classed as on the internal commissioning scheme and therefore no A levels would be required but you would have to pass a Filter Interview, Medical and Officer and Aircrew Selection Center.

For logs officer there is no requirement for an aptitude test.

If you want to know anything then drop me a PM mate.