• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Training Regimes between Fitness Test and PRTC

wench02

SAC
Just pondering really about the above, most people seem to be waiting quite a while between the fitness test and PRTC.

Therefore I was wondering what level of training/what fitness work people are doing whilst waiting for their PRTC dates, or actual PRTC itself?

Merrick

LAC
I had about six weeks between PRFT and PRTC and it is my experience that running 2.4km on a treadmill will not prepare you for the MSFT.

The best way for me to get better at the MSFT was to practice the MSFT and combine it with high intensity interval training to teach my muscles to better deal with lactic acid build up and keep working through it.

MSFT sound track is available as a download on the RAF Careers site, so there is no excuse for not having a crack at it to find out where you are and how much work you need to do.

I can't advise strongly enough the need to have a go at it before you turn up at Halton. Quite a few people dropped off my PRTC an hour after arriving because they underestimated what a complete git of a fitness test the thing is.

wench02

SAC
I am preparing for the Bleep test by doing it... it's not easy, that I know. I can get up to level 6, hoping to be able to get up to level 7.2 over the next couple of weeks. I do this at the weekend. Its just the bits in between that I was wondering what people have been doing.

Once I get the PRTC dates through, I will be doing more than I am now, just wondering what others are doing thats all!

84scouse

SAC
Hey Wench02, do more now!! I just got my PRTC dates yesterday and it's in less than two weeks! (thrilled but terrified now!)

I've just downloaded the MSFT mp3 and I'm going to look like a spaz while I practise it on sunday morning in the supermarket car park... I believe the width of 8 parking spaces is 20 metres? I have practised the MSFT on the treadmill (using the protocol shown in the post that is somewhere on this forum about how to do it correctly on the treadmill) and I got to 13.5kmph, which is (I think) the equivalent of somewhere within level 8? But I'll see when I practise it for real!

Generally I've been doing regular 4 mile(ish) runs on the road and along the pebble beach tracks near where I live, combined with gym sessions which include time on the treadmill, cross trainer, exercise bike, rower, and some light weights. Trouble is, I got a cold and chest infection last month, and the gym sessions really suffered (although I still went out running regularly) and I really felt it when I went back the other day after about three weeks out!! I also go cycling, but that's more to recouperate and is generally quite leisurely rather than exercise focused. (If you know what I mean!) At home I also practise form for my press ups and sit ups and can do 30 press ups within the time limit and 40-odd sit ups.

So now, despite me knowing I'm fit enough to get through, I'm having a REAL crisis of fitness confidence!! I went for a run this morning and felt totally lethargic!! :( (Whether that's just because of all the adrenaline I used up yesterday when I found out I don't know... but I'm aiming not to mess up that's for sure!) :pDT_Xtremez_25:

R

rhysowen

Hey, I came back from PRTC about 2-3 weeks ago so can give you my tips!

I managed to do the 1.5 mile at PJFT in 10:58, so really, I was cutting it!
There was about a month between my PJFT and my PRTC but this is what I did:

1.5 miles @ 8.1 mph (11:11), twice a week on a treadmill
Then, I did a few leg weights and general core conditioning weights at the gym (mainly working on calfs, hamstrings, quads, etc.). Nothing too strenuous, just making sure my legs could endure a good bit of work.
Then, once a week, I took a tape-measure and my ipod dock up to my local running track and practised the bleep test.
Every morning, I would blast out 20 pressups and 35 situps as fast as I could just to be sure I could make the standard.

TIP: 100% of the people that failed on my PRTC failed on the pressups! Make sure your form is correct and you are going down far enough!!

R

rhysowen

I've just downloaded the MSFT mp3 and I'm going to look like a spaz while I practise it on sunday morning in the supermarket car park... I believe the width of 8 parking spaces is 20 metres? I have practised the MSFT on the treadmill (using the protocol shown in the post that is somewhere on this forum about how to do it correctly on the treadmill) and I got to 13.5kmph, which is (I think) the equivalent of somewhere within level 8? But I'll see when I practise it for real!

Quick tip, I practised the MSFT on the treadmill for the first few weeks of my training thinking I'd be fine. Then I did the beep test for real on a running track using my ipod dock for the beeps and was shocked when I only got up to level 7!!! luckily, a bit of practise and I managed to get to 9.10

It is definitely worth the practise. Trust me.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer

Never a truer word posted. There are definitely issues with potential recruits passing PJFT then failing the fitness test on PRTC. Why that should be is open for debate but it is in your interest to be sure of passing the bleep test when you get to Halton otherwise you will be delaying your entry into the RAF by 6 months or more. After the effort you will have gone to to get as far as PRTC, it would be a shame to fall at this hurdle.

LilStill

Sergeant
TIP: 100% of the people that failed on my PRTC failed on the pressups! Make sure your form is correct and you are going down far enough!!

However, a few from PRTC on Wednesday just been were MSFT failures. Make sure you can complete all areas, as the PTI's won't pick one to be strict on.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's worth pointing out now to all the people who are joining in the near future and asking questions about fitness that once you sign on the dotted line fitness is going to be a large portion of your life...

Take a long term approach to this...Once through training going to the gym, unless you are sent to a section where they have ordained mandatory fizz, will be down to you...You must take and pass the fitness test for most of the rest of your career staying at the higher levels until you are 30...Getting to the gym may not be the easiest of things when you are juggling work and play once through training and the Xbox beckons!

I suppose what I am [badly] trying to get across is that when you have to ask 'how much should I be doing?' the answer must be 'as much as you can fit in' and this must not change for the rest of your time with the RAF...Get that fact settled in your physche and it will be the difference between light blue and dark blue...between 6 months and 12 month intervals and definately between taking the test in your stride and feeling physically sick with worry about doing it twice a year...believe me I've seen the latter a number of times.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
The main thing to emphasise is that running the bleep test on a treadmill is very different from reality. I would aim two levels higher on runner as opposed to doing it for real

84scouse

SAC
Quick tip, I practised the MSFT on the treadmill for the first few weeks of my training thinking I'd be fine. Then I did the beep test for real on a running track using my ipod dock for the beeps and was shocked when I only got up to level 7!!! luckily, a bit of practise and I managed to get to 9.10

That's what I was concerned about myself but just been out to practise it for real and alleviated my worries.

My only concern now is press ups. I can bang out 30 press ups but when it comes to the proper "form" for the RAF I'm not so hot with the numbers, though I know I can pass... basically (and this is slightly embarrassing!!) my high intensity sports bra clad boobies are virtually on the floor in the down position. Obviously they are of no advantage to me (support-wise) whilst performing the exercise... but will it be seen that way at PRTC?!?! *blush* !!!

G

Gary

That's what I was concerned about myself but just been out to practise it for real and alleviated my worries.

My only concern now is press ups. I can bang out 30 press ups but when it comes to the proper "form" for the RAF I'm not so hot with the numbers, though I know I can pass... basically (and this is slightly embarrassing!!) my high intensity sports bra clad boobies are virtually on the floor in the down position. Obviously they are of no advantage to me (support-wise) whilst performing the exercise... but will it be seen that way at PRTC?!?! *blush* !!!

I would always do pressups in the "proper form" for the RAF, that way you can see actual improvement and you know how your coming along in terms of the targets for the test (whether you'll definitely make the targets or not)

Im not 100% on your other question but i cant see it being a problem if it doesnt aid you in any way (well, "look" like it doesnt aid you to them), they will (should) hold their hand at the height of which your chin should come to the ground, if your chest is touching the floor before your chin is at the supposed height then i cant see it being a problem

Also, where possible, I'd avoid the use of a treadmill for running, the way you run on a treadmill is slightly different, you have no air resistance aswel so A) its easier so you think you're doing better than you actually are and B) you breathe differently due to not having air resistance, I'm not sure if you run on the treadmill or not for running training so ignore if you run off the treadmill

84scouse

SAC
I would always do pressups in the "proper form" for the RAF, that way you can see actual improvement and you know how your coming along in terms of the targets for the test (whether you'll definitely make the targets or not)

Im not 100% on your other question but i cant see it being a problem if it doesnt aid you in any way (well, "look" like it doesnt aid you to them), they will (should) hold their hand at the height of which your chin should come to the ground, if your chest is touching the floor before your chin is at the supposed height then i cant see it being a problem

Also, where possible, I'd avoid the use of a treadmill for running, the way you run on a treadmill is slightly different, you have no air resistance aswel so A) its easier so you think you're doing better than you actually are and B) you breathe differently due to not having air resistance, I'm not sure if you run on the treadmill or not for running training so ignore if you run off the treadmill

Cheers Gary it went fine! Passed the PRTC stage comfortably and waiting for my 308 interview now! (Which I've heard mixed things about in terms of what's involved). PRTC was brilliant; really enjoyed it!! Just a pity so few of the people who were on it are on a different intake to me, because I've already made some mates. I can't wait to get started though. I know the flight staff are going to be stricter with us etc but if you don't take it personally it's not a prob.

As for running, I only go on the treadmill as part of a gym workout (i.e. I'd never go JUST to run on the treader!). The majority of my running is done on the roads and gravel paths along the coastline where I live so all good!

Cheers for the advice though! :)

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The main thing to emphasise is that running the bleep test on a treadmill is very different from reality. I would aim two levels higher on runner as opposed to doing it for real

The best way to practice the MSFT on a treadmill waas explained to me by a PTI as I was struggling to get past 9.4 on the test (even though 9.4 was the pass mark for my age group at the time). The way to do it is set the treadmill to 1% (though 1.5% is better) and start off at 8.5 KPH (Life Fitness machines tend to have both KPH and MPH options, making it easier) and every minute, raise it by 0.5 KPH so the equivalents would be 8.5 for level 1, 9.0 for level 2, 9.5 for level 3 and so on. To factor in the turns and to increase stamina, look at running for 2 levels over and above what you need to get, e.g. for myself at 38 years old, I need to run to 8.10, so I practice for 11 mins (which works out finishing after running 13.5 KPH for 1 minute). I then lower the speed down to around 10 KPH to lower my heart rate back down for 4 minutes until the 15 minute point where I increase the speed to 10.5 KPH and again increase speed every minute until the 20 minute point (10.5 at 15 mins, 11 at 16 mins and so on until 20 mins). This seems to work for me. However any kind of fartlek interval training is good. If you have access to a sports hall, or a straight flat path that's 20 metres long, you can download the MSFT on iTunes and practice doing the test for real.

I take it the MSFT is done in a group, as in all in one line, therefore it must be impossible to fail, just keep up with the line, if you get a bit tired you won't want to embarrass yourself by stopping, will you?

LilStill

Sergeant
That is correct and is true for most, but there are some out there that are just incapable or lacking the determination. People do fail, so don't be lax and don't rely on peer pressure either.

Some pretty good bits of advice here. For what it's worth I'm going to agree with the treadmill trg for MSFT but in my opinion outdoor running combined with track intervals and the occasional bit of treadmill speed work is ok.
My fitness test has always been in the blue range. Not that I'm super fit, I just train, alot. My routine is this, again not definitive, some very good advice has been posted before me. Take curvier leave it:
Mon: 1hr gym: (rowing machine 5km/bike 30 min/elliptical trainer 20 min).
Tue: Run to work and back (6 km) at a moderate pace (5:00-5:30min/km)
Wed: Run to work and run with unit for 5km at a moderate pace.
Thur: Swim: 1hr (as many lengths as I can and intermittently tread water in the deep end for 3mins)
Fri: interval training on the running track: (x4 100m sprints with 100m cool downs followed by x2 200m sprints and 200m cool downs).
Sat: Swim: 1hr (as many lengths as I can and intermittently tread water in the deep end for 3mins)
Sun: 10km/12km/14km long slow runs (5:30-6:10min/km)

20 press up/20 sit up first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Every day.

But that's my own phys regimen, take that as you will. But bleep tests don't really phase me. I personally prefer the Army PFA. It's a better fitness test, in fact I think it's what the regiment flight use at Cranwell for the OCdts.

LilStill

Sergeant
PFA is a regular part of my organised PEd and, while good, the results are very much subject to the weather. I am happier having a level playing field in the MSFT! I would agree though that the PFA takes a lot more from you to pass.

Hannibal

LAC
Personally i don't see the point in training for the MSFT on a treadmill. It's 20meters, download the mp3 from the careers website and you're away. My point for not trying it on a treadmill is because the KEY part of the test is the turn...... don't get to the line too early, you only have to touch the line; not go a long way over it. My technique is the second i've touched the line i'm starting to head back the other way. If you do these wrong then you'll simply be wasting energy and it'll soon tire you out. After having a good MSFT too around level 11-12 your quads should be hurting more than anything since the pushing off on each turn.

On a point made earlier on this thread, it was mind boggling how many of the 70 people on my PRTC a couple of months ago had not even tried the MSFT once. It's a test not to be underestimated, however do it correctly and getting to level 10 should be easy

Last edited: