• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trainers

Merrick

LAC
A bit of gen picked up at PRTC last week (and its brand new info that only the PTI seemed to know about).

Recruits will now be issued with two pairs of trainers (indoor and outdoor). No more Silver Shadows, but will be some brand named UK Gear, these are uniform and must be worn unless you have a medical chit saying you can wear something different. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

However, you won't be issued these trainers until after the Day 00 fitness test so you still need to take your own running trainers to Halton. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
It's not brand new, sorry to break it to you. I got issued 2 pairs of trainers when I was going through RTS, Silver Shadows for outdoors and a pair of white ones for indoors that offered no ankle support or grip on the floor if it was anything more then bone dry, which showed when I dislocated it doing a circuit. Didn't they go to wearing silver shadows indoors??

Merrick

LAC
Oh, thought I had new magical information there. The other staff on the course said it was the first they'd heard of it.

Never mind :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Oberon305

Chairborne
I reckon the issue of the UK Gear branded ones is new. The Silver Shadows/White Daps issue has been going on for years. The UK Gear ones have been on sale in the Naafi's in Herrick for donkeys, I think they are the ones that were 'developed' in conjunction with Army PTI's?

I reckon the issue of the UK Gear branded ones is new. The Silver Shadows/White Daps issue has been going on for years. The UK Gear ones have been on sale in the Naafi's in Herrick for donkeys, I think they are the ones that were 'developed' in conjunction with Army PTI's?

Brilliant, and Army PTI's are the people to speak to rather than the guys at New Balance or Asics etc who'd have shot the idea down in ten seconds after pointing out that people's feet are different and as such the trainers need to be constructed differently.

If It was being done properly it should be a case of turning up, having your gait analysed and being given a pair of trainers appropriate to your gait type, that might actually reduce injury. Not issuing ****e trainers designed by retards who run in high leg boots that they've figured out no-one wants to buy.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
It's not brand new, sorry to break it to you. I got issued 2 pairs of trainers when I was going through RTS, Silver Shadows for outdoors and a pair of white ones for indoors that offered no ankle support or grip on the floor if it was anything more then bone dry, which showed when I dislocated it doing a circuit. Didn't they go to wearing silver shadows indoors??

Techie Tubby, until now, Recruits have only been issued with ONE pair of trainers.

I have no doubt that certain things were different when you joined up, but ths sounds like a recent change of policy.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Brilliant, and Army PTI's are the people to speak to rather than the guys at New Balance or Asics etc who'd have shot the idea down in ten seconds after pointing out that people's feet are different and as such the trainers need to be constructed differently.

If It was being done properly it should be a case of turning up, having your gait analysed and being given a pair of trainers appropriate to your gait type, that might actually reduce injury. Not issuing ****e trainers designed by retards who run in high leg boots that they've figured out no-one wants to buy.

Heavens, it's just a bunch of kids there for a few weeks, running up and down a few hills; not an olympic training camp in the high Atlas.

Just wear thicker socks - they'll be fine.

M

MakkaPakka1

I only joined in Nov 05 and I got issued 2 pairs, indoor white ones that I havent worn since, and the silver shads. The PTI in question might have only been in a short while, like most of them seem to be.

So its gone full circle then?

Back in the day (1989) I too was issued 2 pairs
Pumps for the Gym (Had to get my own white polish) and something akin to Silver Shadows for outside

No choices either, where them or else, no chits

Oberon305

Chairborne
So its gone full circle then?Back in the day (1989) I too was issued 2 pairsPumps for the Gym (Had to get my own white polish) and something akin to Silver Shadows for outsideNo choices either, where them or else, no chits
Yep.....same in '88.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Here's a novel idea. Allow the ADULTS who chose to join the Armed Forces the opportunity wear their own trainers. Running in Silver Shads and the white indoor "pumps" seriously b*ggered my shins for a long time.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Here's a novel idea. Allow the ADULTS who chose to join the Armed Forces the opportunity wear their own trainers. Running in Silver Shads and the white indoor "pumps" seriously b*ggered my shins for a long time.
You're not wrong. Still provide issue ones for those who don't have any, or for the idiots who turn up with lime green and purple ones, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. I guess it's just to keep things 'uniform', what with being in the military and all that!

Hipponous

LAC
at the minute you are only issued one set of silver shads, however you can wear your own as long as they are running trainers and not fashion trainers.

Merrick

LAC
I meant to update this ages ago and forgot. Forget the being issued two pairs of trainers, this is just not true. I guess the PTI who told us that on PRTC was misinformed.

Its Silver Shadows all the way, strongly advise taking your own running trainers that fit your feet and are able to grip the gym floor.