• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Gap Year

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I am just finishing my GapYear.

Bit of an underestimation – gap 17 years. Options for change in 96’ offered many of us a way out with a nice fat wedge and an early pension before we hit the zenith years for the optimal career, 35-40. At the tender age of 36 and after 19 reckonable and one for er’ indoors, I ran out into the world never having done a days work in my life (c’mon, you know what I mean), and looking for the world that no doubt couldn’t do without me.

Apparently, it could.

Took me a year, and like many before me, my primary employment attractiveness was the ability to work in anyone’s toilet, no matter how smelly, no matter who the customers were. Saudi it was then, but it was a start. Thus it is that after 17 years working my way gradually back home across Europe and astounded yet at how far well constructed English invective and brail like power-point skills can get even the most mediocre person, I am looking at a pair of boots on my office floor. I confess to you right here – I am excited as I was last time; as excited as those who post so regularly of their acceptance into their new career. Never thought I would be, and it’s a pleasant experience.

You can never go back.

And it’s stupid to try. The point is that that invisible tube that ties each of us to the blue womb sometimes manifests itself as an idea that maybe you can do something else and it need not be about you, and perhaps only for a few years, but at least it’s got flesh to it (it’s self-delusional arse of course, but indulge me). I have been banging at this door for some time. The barriers have been many and each taken in their stride as it’s something I want to do, not a choice upon which 3 other people need to survive, so there has been no imperative to look elsewhere. This, I wanted to do. Today I ran up and down a Gym between 2 lines and answered questions from a doctor who wanted to know about the bad dreams and bad things I'd seen - all answered truthfully of course. On Friday night, hopefully, I will pick up a bible again when it isn’t a funeral. I let you know what happens next.

I am off to **** in my new boots.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Yes you both are, and thanks.

I am officially a weekend warrior, as of Friday.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
On another thread I asked who was this RAF Reg posters were on about. Warwick thought it might be ILLBW's real name. So, then, are you Auggie Albert? I certainly hope you're not Blundering Brucie.

Blue womb or womb with a view, it all affects us in different ways. In my case, I've allowed myself to be talked into [flash of trade selection at Cardington] returning to the next two things I did after leaving the Service: mental health and then the dramatic and visual arts after belated uni. Thus, at the end of October, aged 71 2/3, I'm hoping to start a p/t course in art therapy. The DWP has assured me in writing that anything I might earn will not affect my various pensions. So, when you return from a deployment to train the corrupt coppers of Nookistan and find yourself referred to an art therapist to help you to express what it was like, who knows, you could get me, and I'll have wrapped up all three of my life career packages in one neat parcel [reminding me once more of Cardington, where recruits were issued with two sheets of brown paper, a label and string to send their civvy clothes home before putting said recruits on a private train to Bridgnorth, the RAF's very own Hogwarts Express].

You've got your boots - I've got my brushes. Boots brushed, sir?:excitement:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Halton friday...
....time to show these young RTS instructor dudes which way is up :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Bring it, big boy.