• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG5 forum

Bignick

Corporal
I've sobered up enough to do it now

Thanks s2, but can I suggest that if you are going with tg5 then you rename 'techies' to tg1. Techies are not exclusive to the ac trades!

First post on the forum and the klingons are whinging already :pDT_Xtremez_14:

A

A Crusty Demon

Thanks sausage! Seems my post has made a difference ! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
Thanks s2, but can I suggest that if you are going with tg5 then you rename 'techies' to tg1. Techies are not exclusive to the ac trades!

Real Techies are :pDT_Xtremez_19:

daspeedz

LAC
maybe it'll help some other trades appreciate just how much we do!

Unless it is the GSE/MT pixies that have been magically fixing the kit all along?

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek

Really !!! - how many Chief Techs have TG5 got then?::D::pDT_Xtremez_18:

Not as many as TG 1 but welders, fitters, leckies and drive by GSE fitters all have em! Can't remember the exact number but it it is around 40 ish?!

Bignick

Corporal
Really !!! - how many Chief Techs have TG5 got then?::D::pDT_Xtremez_18:

A an aside to this, I would add that I wish we didn't have the Chf Tech Rank. It provides a massive hold on your career, generally making it difficult to get to FS within LOS30. Furthermore, with non-technical trades with shorter trade training now on the high pay band the cumulative effect is that TG1 and TG5 actually earn less and have less opportunity for career advancement than trades such as Admin, Movers and in many cases Suppliers.

I wrote a very concise paper on this very subject, laying down the facts and even producing a pay analysis spreadsheet over a career compared to various trades and various promotion points. I sent this paper to AMP. The reply was almost insulting. The message that I and the 20 odd other techies involved in the production of the paper got was that they really don't give a to$$. I've thought very long and hard about publishing the paper and replies on E-goat, but I reckon it is not appropriate. Maybe when I leave the service!

If you want a trade then any of the TG5 brands are an awesome choice. However, if you want a career to 55 and a comfortable retirement then Admin or Mover is the choice. I wouldn't mind mover myself; see the world, lots of good overseas postings available, high pay band from Cpl onwards, and presently promotion average is 4 years across the trade. Easy-street...can't understand why they always seem to have a chip on their shoulders.

Thats the last time you'll see your luggage if they find out who you are Big Nick! He has got a point with the career thing though.

J

JagCabMan

Thanks for the TG5 Forum

Thanks for the TG5 Forum

Hi Guys in TG5, I for one am proud I was TG5, spent 18 years at it and it has stood me in good stead ever since I left the Force. Living on 85 acres no where much near anything and you will appreciate your training and can do approach to life & we can fix anything.

So will your friends as they queue up to get there bits and pieces fixed.

Nick

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Yay, just found this as it popped up as an unread post.
Finally asked for a TG5 forum aaaaaages ago.... thought I was the only one here for a while til I bumped into GM....
Nice to see you all here