• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taking the law into your own hands

kawoloki

Sergeant
Hi All, not posted on here for a few years but thought I'd see what the reaction to this one would be...

For context and a quick summery -

Channel 4 documentary "24hrs in Police Custody" told the story of Adam who chased after would two attempted burglars when they jumped on a motor bike and tried to get away. High speed chase resulted in a big crash and injuries to the two on the bike. You may have seen the program or the resultant "viral" posts on social media.

The two burglars (riding a stolen bike) were career criminals who have since admitted the attempted robbery and have been picked up by police AFTER this incident in a stolen car tooled up to break into somewhere else. They received 200hrs community service, Adam was given 22month custodial sentence (he's out now, think he did 9months, wearing ankle tag).

Adam lost his job and can't be re-employed in the Datacentre environment due to the conviction, spent £50k on lawyers and took the joint decision with his wife for her to terminate a pregnancy.

I know Adam personally having worked for the same Datacentre company with him for the last 5yrs. My own view knowing him as the decent lad he is... I fully get the need for a conviction as it was indeed dangerous driving, can't for the life of me understand why it was in the public interest to send him away to jail instead of giving him a hefty fine and suspended sentance though...

Last edited:
I watched this and it made my piss boil. Life is totally unfair. I feel really sorry for him and his wife - and to terminate a pregnancy too. When the verdicts were announced I could not believe it. Poor guy, hopefully some firm will step up and give him a decent job.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It does indeed sound very unfair, although I guess the 'justice' system treated the 2 cases as wholly unconnected and dealt with him as a dangerous driver alone.

For some factual takes on the way the system works you could do worse than read the books by 'The Secret Barrister' some of that really will boil your urine!

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
Didn't see it but heard plenty about it.

To many 'career criminals' seem to get away with community service, which is a joke 'go and pick litter and clean up the community garden' to make up for burgling and stealing from the community.

Unfortunately for Adam it doesn't matter how nice a guy he is, when he heard / saw the burgling filth the fog descended, and he chased them down and ran them off the road injuring them. The issue is probably with the guidelines the Judge has to use for sentencing, chances are he'd probably not wanted to send him to the clink but for the offences committed he had no choice.

Hopefully he turns things around and gets back on his feet quickly.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Americans sometimes get this kind of thing spot on.

ive just watched it and it made me shake i was that angry, the two scrotes were actually caught in an uninsured car on false plates with bulgray kit during the investigation. :mad:

while i dont agree with chasing after them and what happened he was just protecting his family and property, at worst that should have been a suspended sentance.

Last edited:
I think in the UK the scumbags still have to be on your property if you wish to administer your own form of justice. Had I been on his jury though there's no way I'd have found him guilty.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
A police spokesman said: “This episode is an important reminder that people must not take the law into their own hands. The best thing to do when a crime is happening is to call 999.”

Agreed - he was a tit for going chasing after them. He could have been stabbed, shot or whatever. What was his plan if they had stopped and got out? They had crowbars etc. He is lucky he is still alive and his family still have a dad.

We all of course would love to give these scum a thrashing, but as the title said, he took the law into his own hands.

Buuuuut, on a positive note:

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Nah. He gave chase - broke the speed limit? Dangerous driving? What if he had hit and killed an innocent?

His actions were stupid and rash and as he admits, "a moment of madness".

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Nah. He gave chase - broke the speed limit? Dangerous driving? What if he had hit and killed an innocent?

His actions were stupid and rash and as he admits, "a moment of madness".

And this is the crux of the matter for me. Whilst I feel for the dude, after a couple of minutes he should have calmed himself down and given up the chase. The fact he continued is the bad element for me....

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Feel sorry for him, and his family, shouldn’t have chased them down but justice should have taken into account the circumstances.

The cops saying just call them, beggars belief as well.

kawoloki

Sergeant
And this is the crux of the matter for me. Whilst I feel for the dude, after a couple of minutes he should have calmed himself down and given up the chase. The fact he continued is the bad element for me....
Yep fully agreed which is why I mentioned the conviction was correct and justified…

The sentence received still leaves a bit of a bad taste though…

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I watched this and while he did break the law and so did the scumbags!!!!!! There was no justice at all, the justice system is broken and we as a society have let it get that way, well the PC brigade have . The politicians have listened to the PC brigade and this is what you get, a society who can lie about all take what they want and avoid jail as their wounds would be too much for jail. One of my grandfathers underwent some hard times as a POW during the second world war so that people like this could have free speech and freedom. I think the price my grandfather paid was too much!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with a white van and some burly blokes in ski masks, that could not solve that.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Call 999? That's a laugh. They would have just given him a crime number and not bothered turming up
Ah…at last, an expert on the problems of Policing Britain in todays society. Would you care to enlighten us as to how long you’ve been a copper, how long you’ve spent on response, control room and other sections…….
or would I be right in thinking you have never done a shift as a copper or a civvy in a control room?…and so you really don’t have a fecking clue?

Last edited:
Ah…at last, an expert on the problems of Policing Britain in todays society. Would you care to enlighten us as to how long you’ve been a copper, how long you’ve spent on response, control room and other sections…….
or would I be right in thinking you have never done a shift as a copper or a civvy in a control room?…and so you really don’t have a fecking clue?
No, but most of us have reported a crime in the past and not heard back from the police ever I would imagine, I certainly have.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'll help you out.

Your upper echelons have collaborated with the Treasury in running down your capabilities whilst lying to the general public.

For instance, Scunny has 2 cells. Fill them up with D&D at 19:30 and anything more serious has to go to Donny, this taking manpower off the streets for hours. Ergo D&D gets ignored.

PC Career Copper knows it's ridiculous, Chief Super signs it off hoping for an MBE.

Do I have a fecking clue ???

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Feeling that the system is broken doesn’t mean anyone is blaming individuals, systems breakdown over many years as this and that is chipped away, then people have an event that reveals the level at which a system is operating at.

I don’t think it’s for rank and file to defend the current shit show, and if they do then perhaps they too are part of the problem.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Feeling that the system is broken doesn’t mean anyone is blaming individuals, systems breakdown over many years as this and that is chipped away, then people have an event that reveals the level at which a system is operating at.

I don’t think it’s for rank and file to defend the current shit show, and if they do then perhaps they too are part of the problem.
I’m not defending the ‘shit show’ at all, just the bobbies on the beat that are shat upon by some of the general public and their own powers that be….those bobbies on response that are run ragged chasing their own tails from job to job with constant criticism from the public and media alike….and when they eventually do get to attend a 999 call it’s they who get it in the neck even though it’s out of their control As to when they attend.
I’ll admit that the constant ‘The Police this , The Police that ‘, criticism grips my shit when it comes from those who know very little about the workings of modern Policing, by that I mean that to the vast majority of people including it seems a few on this site, “The Police” consists solely of those in response cars who are there to answer 999 calls And they base their views and opinions of the Police based on an encounter they are not happy with.They conveniently overlook the work carried out by other departments whose role is not response.

Criticise the Police if you wish, but direct it at those responsible both within the force and the MPs that you the electorate voted in for making the decisions that have created such a shit show and not generalise.

It’s a good job that the Police don’t generalise like some on here do and assume everyone in the RAF or HM Forces is a paedo or druggie isn’t it….have a look at the current list of court-martials available on line…..you’d soon be concerned about the calibre of those serving in HM Forces if you were the type to generalise in your criticisms…

Bloody hell..and we have people like this defending the country? …or would I be right in thinking that they are not representative of the good work done by thousands of other HM Forces personnel? ….just as the odd bad egg and cock up within the Police is not representative of the rest of the work done by the Police..

Last edited: