• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Survival Equipment Fitter

FlyerBike

LAC
Hi all,

I know I've posted about a few different roles but am interested in a few different ones and would like to explore them a bit more.

Does anyone here do this job? The way I understand it, this is the job to have if you want to eventually end up in a Sea King Helicopter saving people at sea etc?

What's the job generally like, what bases are you likely to be stationed at?

Any thoughts are welcome :)

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
NCO Aircrew is what you are thinking of and even then, ending up on Rotary is not a given. You've also got the fact that SAR is going Civilian. I imagine that this may mean vacancies for ex-RAF Rotary Crewmen in the future but again it further narrows those avenues down.

As a Survival Equipment Fitter, you'll service the range of life saving equipment issued to Aircrew. (Apart from the Ejection Seat of course as that is the task of our Armourers.)

squipper

Corporal
Why not ask the AFCO staff if you can visit your nearest station to have a look at the trades first hand. We can explain in great depth, but it's nothing like seeing it actually in action to get a better idea of each option.

Good luck what ever you choose

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
NCO Aircrew is what you are thinking of and even then, ending up on Rotary is not a given. You've also got the fact that SAR is going Civilian. I imagine that this may mean vacancies for ex-RAF Rotary Crewmen in the future but again it further narrows those avenues down.

As a Survival Equipment Fitter, you'll service the range of life saving equipment issued to Aircrew. (Apart from the Ejection Seat of course as that is the task of our Armourers.)

You could be posted to any RAF Station that has fixed wing or rotary aircraft,most likely you'll be in a bay carrying out routine maitainance on survival equipment,packing parachutes,servicing flight helmets & other equipment.
On Fast Jet stations the is (or was when I was in) a SE bay next to the ejection seat bay,where you'd be doing the parachute & the aircrew Personal Equipment Pack among other things.

FlyerBike

LAC
Thanks for the replies.

Is it normal practise to visit a base? I didn't think it happened much. Think a trip to AFCO is in order.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Is it normal practise to visit a base? I didn't think it happened much. Think a trip to AFCO is in order.

Normal practice? (Arranged off their own back)

I'm guessing not.

Bear it in mind that although our numbers have dropped we still have a good number of high calibre individuals applying.

How bad do you want this career and what are you prepared to do (appropriately) to stand out from the crowd?

I'm pretty sure that if you're keen enough, the AFCO will recognise this and would be more than happy to guide you should you wish to arrange a visit.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
When you have your selection interview at the AFCO, you will be asked what you've done to increase your knowledge of the service and trade. If you've used your initiative and contacted a nearby RAF unit to visit them and see the job for real, talk to people, etc, it will put you at an advantage over someone who's answer is "I haven't managed to do anything".

Food for thought.

squipper

Corporal
I have hosted visits by prospective recruits who have contacted the community relations staff off their own back and also visits through the AFCO. Both have been well received and I have received positive feed back from the individuals after they have joined in whatever trade they have selected. Also the AFCO staff see these visits as incredibly useful and believe it or not, as a cost saving scheme as the individual can make an informed decision and not get to phase 2 and bang out!!!