• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super Plotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Theogony_280

We were still messing about with ink and tracing paper when I went through in 2000. I remember getting issued with a set of french curves and boxes of drawing pens. It was possible to get binned off the course if you were a biff with your "draughtsmanship".
Welcome to the digital age.

rover014

LAC
Damm right!

5% off for a dog ear on the paper!
5% off for every over/under shoot!
5% off for not setting your letroset (sp?) correctly
5% off for poor spelling :pDT_Xtremez_15:

pass mark was 80%

God that was a nightmare!

P.S. I got through the land of dogging and onions in 98; we were still doing draughtsmanship then. Did not do a thing on a computer if I remember right!

T

Theogony_280

It's character building. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

These next-gen plotters don't know what they're missing - with their relevent training and transferable skills...

rover014

LAC
ha ha ha, true,

but then again how will they get on with photo/map comparrison when geo-jump ends up FUBAR? Thats one skill set I have seen even those 'trained' struggle with!

But fair plaid to the guys and gals comming out of the school at the moment! From what I have seen they all are very good, well rounded intelligence analysts:pDT_Xtremez_28: .

However, the cynical side of me also see's an over reliance on technology:pDT_Xtremez_06: , and I would be very interested to see how they get on in a tactical imagery role; using wet film and mapping:pDT_Xtremez_34: - should the evil gray boxes of doom ::/: pack up their 1's and 0's and go home in a sulk:pDT_Xtremez_03: .

I would be very supprised if our new comms bretheren don't have similar concerns.

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
but then again how will they get on with photo/map comparrison when geo-jump ends up FUBAR? Thats one skill set I have seen even those 'trained' struggle with!

However, the cynical side of me also see's an over reliance on technology, and I would be very interested to see how they get on in a tactical imagery role; using wet film and mapping:pDT_Xtremez_34: - should the evil gray boxes of doom ::/: pack up their 1's and 0's and go home in a sulk
QUOTE]

photo/map comparison now there's something I haven't done in a long time, something that was a lot of fun though, especially when trying to work out what the aircrew had taken a pic of and where it was.....:pDT_Xtremez_08:

wet film?? don't think there are any wet film pods left now, either craptor or djrp are it especially now that the mighty Canberra is out of service ::(:

I

Inch High PI

Doubt it, I think that was dropped from the plotters course in 98, mine did some in 97 but a lot was done on PC's....oh the fun of trying to refill the pens without getting the ink all over your uniform, failed miserably every time! :pDT_Xtremez_21:

We still did a fair bit of hot pen and scalpel action on my plotters course in 98. Always managed to rip the corners of my paper when removing the tape!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

C

Cat Book

Wet Film

Wet Film

wet film?? don't think there are any wet film pods left now, either craptor or djrp are it especially now that the mighty Canberra is out of service ::(:[/QUOTE]

Wet film is alive and well in Northern Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.