• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stanley Crane RAF Honington

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Probably the most distinct memory for any junior rank that served at Honington.

Stanley Crane aka 'Stan the Man' civvie cook in the JRM at Honington passed away 24 Feb.

Stan will be remembered for his outlandish clothing and reactions to people taking the p!55.

A great bloke to know when you wanted early breakfasts, nothing was too much trouble.

My stand out memory of Stan was one Sunday morning IX Sqn versus Police footy match, I got elbowed in the nose and there was blood everywhere, Stan came running on to the pitch blue rinse permed hair flowing from under his St John Ambulance uniform hat - enough to cure the worst sporting injury in the world within seconds.

dkh51250

Sergeant
A shame to hear of anyone passing, more so in this instance. I was at Honington in 1973 when Stan worked in the JRM where he provided some of the lighter moments, in what was otherwise a pretty abysmal tour. 809 Sqn off the Ark were resident at the time, as they were handing over their Buccaneers to us. They bore the brunt of what could be an incredibly scathing tongue, coupled with a ready wit. Stan, working on the servery, armed with a ladle, wearing his ballet shoes, together with his headscarf covering his hair, was a sight to behold.

RIP Stan.