• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sprouts: Possibly the best veg in the world?

budgie

The new Dirk Diggler
I like my sprouts me, any vegtable that can clear a room after digestion has gotta be a winner in my book. :) Anyone have any particular favourite vegtables?

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Not sure about it being a vegetable but Garlic Mushrooms and a belly full of beer helped me clear a pub in Koblenz at the Rhein In Flames back in '89!
The bar staff were not impressed!!!!:D

T

The Controller

My favourite vegetables...without question.....are FOMs!:eek:

O

oldhamboy1967

Sprouts

Sprouts

Even though though they're not the favourite vegetable of either my wife or me, she still wanted to buy some for Xmas Dinner - because they're traditional...?

What's that about? It's a mad mad world. :)

Carrots and Celery are my faves though.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
oldhamboy1967 said:
Carrots and Celery are my faves though.

Celery! Are you mad! Any food that actually helps you to lose weight as you eat it has to be the work of Satan, the cloven hoof, the horned one etc etc! MCSU staff can only pass their finals by including this incidous "vegetable" in everything they cook (including rice pudding)

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
Sprouts!!!,:mad: Sprouts!!!!, :mad: They are evil and possessed by the devil.

Swede on the other hand is deffo the best veg in the world.

T

The Controller

Furthermore....the best Swede in the world...is Ulrika!:eek:

S

Standards

The FOMz said:
:rolleyes: Oh dear standards, a poor joke at best and your constant pathetic little digs are boring. Tell you what, why don't you give me a ring at work and we can discuss it like adults..............:rolleyes:

Constant! Constant? One joke (your words not mine) which was much too difficult to resist seeing as "The Controller" threw up such an easy one to hit when he said "FOMs". Tongue in cheek dear chap, tongue in cheek. Remain calm and stay in your seat please. As for the offer of calling you at work, if we all did that instead of posting on here, IGS would be closed down due to underuse!

Standards!

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
Mmmmmm sprouts, love em, have them with every Sunday roast when available, in fact the only veg I'm not too keen on is the Aubergine now this is the devils food.

Asparagus is the clear winner, not that MCSU have ever used such a veg.

Any food that can guarantee to make your pee stink within 40mins has got to be in a class of its own.

Can anyone explain the phenomenon?

I have experimented with a group of 'colleagues' during the inaugural Las Vegas Asparagus Fest in 2004. We had very similar results. 40 mins scoff to stink was about average, using a green variety!

Any more scientific results on the urinoaparagus wonder would greatly help research and me be published in a scientific paper in the next 100,000 years.

Ta

asparagus_guy.gif

T

The Ballerina

Not a big fan of sprouts the potatoe has to be the clear winner. Chips and gravy mmmmmmmmm!

I

Inch High PI

Asparagus and why it makes your wee smell!

Asparagus and why it makes your wee smell!

From a website:

Many persons have noted the peculiar effect of certain products on human urine.

For example, Benjamin Franklin, in a wide-ranging discussion of bodily discharges, once noted, "a few stems of asparagus eaten shall give our urine a disagreeable odour; and a pill of turpentine no bigger than a pea shall bestow upon it the pleasing smell of violets."

It is said that in a venerable British men's club there is a sign reading "DURING THE ASPARAGUS SEASON MEMBERS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO RELIEVE THEMSELVES IN THE HATSTAND."

Serious scientific research in this field dates back to 1891, when M. Nencki tentatively identified a compound known as methanethiol as the culprit. The odour appears within an hour after eating just a few spears of the offending vegetable.

According to Allison and McWhirter (1956), the ability to produce the odour is controlled by a single autosomal (i.e., non-sex-related) dominant gene. In a sample of 115 persons, 46 were rendered fragrant by asparagus and 63 were not. (This leaves 6 mysteriously unaccounted for. Urology is an inexact science.)

In 1975 one Robert H. White, then with the chemistry department at the University of California at San Diego, found that the odour-causing chemical was not methanethiol after all.

Instead, using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, he found that the aroma was in fact caused by several S-methyl thioesters, specifically S-methyl thioacrylate and S-methyl 3-(methylthio)thiopropionate.

(Thioesters are compounds that result from the reaction of an acid with a sulfur-containing alcohol. They tend to be smelly.)

The thioacrylate recipe is:

CH2=CHC(=O)SCH3

The thiopropionate is:

CH3SCH2CH2C(=O)SCH3

Ask and I shall deliver!!!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Edited to add my favourite veges are mushrooms and onions.

I

Inch High PI

OOO harsh banter MRAF, you may take the pi*h out of my kilt when you learn to dance properly, girl!

(*I AM NOT THE BLOKE ON THE LEFT)

Last edited: