• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So what do you techies want to do when you leave!!?

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
I have to tell you guys its can be a bit sticky out there without some sort of long term plan! Something I didn’t have when I left in 1991 and it took me many years to come to realise that Control Engineering/Automation is the way to go. If you intend going into this industry then you will need to understand (PLCs) Programmable Logic Controllers and Control Engineering.

I have also done the defence bit too…have done 3 trips to Zealand to train their defence force at a thousand quid a day, not too mention Kuwait, Nepal and a few others. Dubai actually came to me twice, not to mention the Army and Met police. This was not in PLC programming though! This was an earlier skill and the biggest mistake I made was to join a defence related company, at a sensible level, after spending time in Control Engineering. That was one of my mistakes. But at least I made me realise I could still instruct and people had real confidence in my ability.

The course I designed, in the thread ‘Time for a New Start’ was not put together on a whim it has actually involved 18 months of hard work and a lot of expense because I, truly, believed in what I was trying to achieve and still do!

So I am in a now quandary!

Do I continue to target members of the forces who are looking for a new career, who with the right approach will really benefit from industrial experience which spans over 23 years or do I look elsewhere?

PLC and engineering courses are not cheap but my motivation is not about money! It’s about using my experience to help you because the services helped me. It gave me the opportunity to start. It educated me and, believe me, I took every opportunity I could, apart from commissioning, but that’s another story.

I want something to do in my retirement. So I want you, and me for that matter, to enjoy what we are doing. I, therefore, need some control over my student mix and to ensure that everybody starts at about the same level. This will give me the flexibility to adjust the content of the course as required. So I am not going to guarantee a specific level which is one of the requirements of the CTP which, believe me, is utterly pointless unless you understand what you are doing. However, what I can guarantee is that you will learn about PLCs and the type of equipment you will find in industry and that will get you a job!! So no fake certificates which mean nothing if you can’t answer the questions that will be asked!

This course is about civilianising your engineering skills, opening up your horizons and giving you the confidence to look outside a defence related industry where there is a genuine shortage of Engineers and Technicians. Just look around you, look at anything, you take for granted, and ask yourself how is that made? I can almost guarantee that if it’s made by a manufacturing process then a PLC will be involved.
This is a massive industry which probably accounts for about 70 to 80% of all engineering jobs advertised, including robotics. This is why I believe this is your way forward.

Control Engineering is not an easy option, it takes work and dedication and I don’t care what anyone says, 3 weeks is the minimum you will need to get you started. That’s why you need to come and see me, look at the equipment and ask the questions that need to be asked!

There is no company yet, so no hard sell! All I am trying to do if find out if this is worth pursuing from a service point of view before I go elsewhere! There is room for all levels, and you will be given guidance on how you can improve your skills using simulators and areas of further study and training you should consider. This was my plan so you will not be deserted!

Anyway, enough of my rant, I am going to walk Welsh hills for a bit, (decided to give Scotland a miss until they come to their senses!) There is an email address in ‘Time for a New Start’ so if you are interested then please use it! Because I need to understand if this is a viable idea before I spend even more of my hard earned dosh on all the paraphernalia associated with a new venture.