• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SNCO(ATC) ATC OFFICER Pay

lostit26

LAC
Just a quick question.

Just been looking at the RAF Careers website and wondering why the starting pay for SNCO(ATC) is so much higher than that of an Air Traffic Control Officer. SNCO is £32,750 and officer £29,580. It just seems it should be the other way around to me.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What officer rank is that pay scale against?

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Its due to direct entry. Go straight in at Sgt, where's officer starts at bottom. The officer cadre will soon pass you on pay in first few years.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

lostit26

LAC
Thanks guys, I was going to join RAF Regt but due to a few personal reasons ie I beat a pedophile up 5 years ago it wasn't possible until the conviction became spent. So whilst waiting I got myself some qualifications that allows me entry as an officer. I'm trying to figure out the best path to choose that will give me the best experience to carry over to civvi life when I leave the RAF after what I hope to be a fairly long career

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick here. As far as I know, what you learn as an 'Air Tragic-er' in the RAF, isn't readily transferable to the Civvy world. If that is of course your plan.

lostit26

LAC
Correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick here. As far as I know, what you learn as an 'Air Tragic-er' in the RAF, isn't readily transferable to the Civvy world. If that is of course your plan.

Sorry my explanation was crap. I am looking for a role that is transferable to civvy street and whilst doing so I came across the two roles I posted about (not wanting to go into either) and just thought it strange the pay for the two seemed the wrong way around to me so thought I'd just ask why this was. Sorry for the confusion

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'd say do mention the conviction because when it comes out later if it is a bar to recruitment you'll have wasted everyone's time including your own. In fact the initial application probably asks for it anyway.

I hope I never have to work with you either Saints. With integrity like that how can anyone trust anything you say or do?

lostit26

LAC
I'd say do mention the conviction because when it comes out later if it is a bar to recruitment you'll have wasted everyone's time including your own. In fact the initial application probably asks for it anyway.

I went through the application last year Joe_90 and I mentioned the conviction, but it was only decided after my AST that I couldn't continue with my application. I was told at the time that as soon as the conviction becomes spent, which is February of next year, that I could and should resume my application as I had a very high score in my AST and impressed at my interview.

I totally agree that letting the recruiters at the AFCO everything about yourself is the best way to go about things, but they did say as soon as the conviction becomes spent there is no need for me to mention it. Also I was told that I wouldn't have to do my AST again but they may change as I now have the qualifications to go in as an officer. So I'm wondering if there may be a different test for the role.