• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Searching for Lt. Caldwell

kenikeli

LAC
Hello, I'm trying to save myself a trip to Kew gardens by asking on this forum. If this individual served in the RAF at Kidsdale/Burrowhead near the Isle of Whithorn in Dumfriesshire:

Main units: -
'W' Flt, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit (8 May 1939 - 1 Nov 1942)​
651 Sqn (11 Aug - 30 Oct 1942)

"KIDSDALE. Grass strip adjacent to Burrowhead anti-aircraft artillery range near the Isle of Whithorn was used by No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit from May 1939 until May 1942, operating radio-controlled Tiger Moth 'Queen Bee' aircraft, used as targets on the artillery range. In August 1942, No 651 AOP Squadron arrived with seven T aylorcraft aircraft, but shortly afterwards they were warned for service abroad and went overseas. Kidsdale was handed over to the Royal Engineers who used the site for work on the Mulberry Harbour project at Cairnhead and Garlieston"

I'd imagine that there wouldn't be too many personnel stationed here permanently. The station was subsequently taken over by the RE and the base finally closed in 1966.

Are the records in a public place(on the 'net) that I could access, or could anyone on this forum help me with this? I'm led to believe that "Lt. Caldwell" died either during the war or at least sometime before 1973.
Thanks in advance!​

Last edited: