• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SAR Winchman

maddog

LAC
Good Morning,

Im an EX Pongo and looking to join the RAF as a WSOp.
I've read that one of the roles you can perform is that of a Winchman with the SAR team.

I have a few questions regarding this if i may.

Firstly, i saw that the Winchman are trained to Paramedic level, do you have to already have to have paramedic qualifications in order to apply or do they put you through the training?

Secondly, Is it realistically something you can go into straight out of training ? or would i have to go one the Chinooks / Fixed wing first?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
1. They trained you
2. No, not realistic. It was a highly responsible and difficult job.
3. It's all academic now anyway - the SAR funciton is outsourced to private industry.

maddog

LAC
1. They trained you
2. No, not realistic. It was a highly responsible and difficult job.
3. It's all academic now anyway - the SAR funciton is outsourced to private industry.

ah thanks, yes i have just discovered the News article saying it had been outsourced :(