• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sa-10 / S-300

C

CMT/Nurse

Hi there,

Never been in the Int forum but I've a question on the SA-10 / S-300.

Is it any good? Saw in the news that Iran has/ is getting them and I know very little about them. The Wiki makes them sounds pretty good, but they've never been used in anger.

If you were going to protect your civilian nuclear instillation from possible air attack would these do the job? I would assume that once they turn the Radar on they'd be toast, but they have quite a range so I'm really not sure. Basically I know the sum of F all about SAM's and thought you guys might be able to answer a few questions.

There is a thread running on ARRSE about this is you fancy a butchers, I just thought that you guys would be the best people to ask.

Toodle pip!

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Hi there,

Never been in the Int forum but I've a question on the SA-10 / S-300.

Is it any good? Saw in the news that Iran has/ is getting them and I know very little about them. The Wiki makes them sounds pretty good, but they've never been used in anger.

If you were going to protect your civilian nuclear instillation from possible air attack would these do the job? I would assume that once they turn the Radar on they'd be toast, but they have quite a range so I'm really not sure. Basically I know the sum of F all about SAM's and thought you guys might be able to answer a few questions.

There is a thread running on ARRSE about this is you fancy a butchers, I just thought that you guys would be the best people to ask.

Toodle pip!

Seymour Tw@tt will no doubt sing its praises, and I do believe a naval version of it killed a Russian airliner over the Black Sea by mistake in 2001. How good it would be in the face of Stealth, heavy ECM, Chaff, free flying and towed Radar Decoys and a brace of HARMs / ALARMs is a different story.

C

CMT/Nurse

Seymour Tw@tt will no doubt sing its praises, and I do believe a naval version of it killed a Russian airliner over the Black Sea by mistake in 2001. How good it would be in the face of Stealth, heavy ECM, Chaff, free flying and towed Radar Decoys and a brace of HARMs / ALARMs is a different story.

Well that's what I was thinking about, but then what about the Balkans? Much older SAM kit was being used and took out some NATO aircraft. And the HARM/ALARM kit didn't score very well either.

And didn't the yanks loose a stealth there as well? I think it was hit ballisticly by a man-pad, but it doesn't inspire confidence in their drills.

T C

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
And didn't the yanks loose a stealth there as well? I think it was hit ballisticly by a man-pad, but it doesn't inspire confidence in their drills. T C

Radar guided SA-3 killed the F-117, mixture of a switched on SAM battery Commander, and poor mission planning by the USAF I do believe, though I did hear that the F-117 did have a problem when it was hit by the SAM.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Well that's what I was thinking about, but then what about the Balkans? Much older SAM kit was being used and took out some NATO aircraft. And the HARM/ALARM kit didn't score very well either.

That's the thing, they took out some NATO aircraft, 2 out of 10,484 strike sorites in fact, plus a number of UAVs that could not defened themselves in anyway. HARM and ALARM didn't score because the Serbs didn't switch the radar's on for the time required for the ARM's to guide. This of course stopped thier SAM's from having the range information to successfully engage the NATO aircraft, hence a Soft Kill in most cases to the ARM's, they did thier mission in protecting the strike package, the SAM failed to shoot down the NATO aircraft, and thus failed to defend the targets they were protecting.

C

CMT/Nurse

Well you seem to know a fair bit about this!

Yeah those SAM's arent sounding so hot any more. So as an AD asset, how would you rate the SA-10? Annoying, something that needs special attention, a minor threat etc.

Thanks for the input btw. The arrse thread is http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=85358/start=15.html if you want a look. They seem to be bent up on the fact that our HARMs did 'nothing', even though you pointed out to me that they certainly did!

R

Rusty Dubnuts

Sorry, but in reality, you should really shouldn't put too much effort into worrying about such things as S300 effectiveness.

:pDT_Xtremez_35:

C

CMT/Nurse

Thanks Rusty! Was expecting a reply like that. Was just curious really as the US is getting a bit anoyed with the Russians for selling the stuff and I couldn't see why.

But I am still worried... Got a little remot control helicopter for christmas you see... and with the range... the french could shoot it down!

R

Rusty Dubnuts

...and I REALLY wouldn't worry about the French. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Sa-10/s-300

Sa-10/s-300

Hi, Just seen your post.
It looks a meaty bit of Air Def kit. Max Alt 30km, Range 45-90km and with around 1800kg of HE on board if could really fnuk up your day. If you really want more info try www.globalsecurity.org they go on and on and on about all things kit wise
TTFN