• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Rugby Rugby

Rugby Rugby Rugby

• London Irish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saracens

• Wasps

• Harlequins

• Bristol/Worcester Warriors

• Total voters
R

ResidentTiger

Now that the footie world cup is nearly over I thought some discussion about rugby was in order so to find out the core supporters I have included a poll of who supports who
apologies for the doubled up teams but only 10 slots available
Who will win the silverware this year?

G

gemarriott

what about Rotherham?

OOPs sorry I meant "eart titans" kin stoooooooooooopid name for a rugby team:pDT_Xtremez_34:

A

auchtermuchty

Sarries for me as a supporter not a fan. My boys are Tigers fans though as being the closest team to us its the easiest to go and see. Also my boy is on a summer course with them so its taking over.

Now, down to brass tacks. I just cant help but look at Irish and think they are going to be the team to beat.:pDT_Xtremez_06:

It also leaves me wondering if Bath are going to get the ball to Chev Walker enough for him to make a difference? If not they could be following 'Quins and spending a season in div one to completely flatten everyone to come back up, but then that could be said about a lot of the teams this year. I dont see a clear cut relegation candidate this year so all in all there should be some tense moments all round the country.::D:

Off Topic

Dont forget those interested in the charity game thread to let me know who you are!

R

ResidentTiger

Being an irish fan I am really looking forward to this new season we have made a few shrewd signings of late and prividing Riki Flutey has his kicking boots on another close finish is on the cards.
relegation wise I think one of the northern monkeys will go and its not Sale,
maybe Northampton will be sweating too:pDT_Xtremez_30:

T

The mighty V

Aye. Too right Goaty. Come on you Bulls.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

A

auchtermuchty

Goaty said:
These all appear to be teams from the 'Inferior' code of Union.....

One feels that you are looking for a bite old boy.

So here goes....The only reason the northern league is still with us today, in any professional capacity, is because it shifted to a summer season. I respect the players of the younger code, they may not be quite as intelligent on the pitch as they like to make out when they cross codes, but they are defensively sound.

OK i give up.. I have no real axe to grind here and any true lover of either code respects the other one too. To class either code as inferior does an injustice to the other code. the truth is its unusual for someone to cross codes and be a stunning success. In this country we have only really had Robinson do it and thats because he went to the wing initially where he made the most of his RL attributes. Even then he wasnt a success at the first attempt - anyone remember his sojourn to Bath in the mid nineties? As for the guys going in the other direction.... well since professionalism hit the RFU I cant think of any that amounted to anything, but i wait to stand corrected. For the record I am aware of the guys who did it before professionalism, some of them at least.

In truth the only thing the games have in common these days is the shape of the posts - even the balls are different shapes!!

As such they should be respected exactly for what they are - two completely independant, exciting and oftimes infuriating sports, much loved by supporters and players alike.

Now come on my League playing brothers.....gimme a hug!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Goaty

Corporal
Did Scott Gibbs not come from Union to League and then go back to Union. I remember him when he played for Saints. He was one of the very first League backs to be the size of a forward but with mobility of a back. Jonathon Davies on the other hand was a waste of time when he played for Warrington.

I don' know how well Henry Paul faired when he defected to Union but since his return Harlequins RL have certainley had a vast improvement in form. Their standing in the table may not show it but they've run some of the bigger boys closer than they would've done in seasons gone by.....

Union to me just seems to be a game of kicking for territory for kickings sake. I also feel if League hadn't gone proffesional then union would still be the semi proffesional sport today that it used to be. League has shown it's counterparts the way forward. Neither of us can beat the Aussies and both sets of Lions seem to suffer in competition when it matters....

Over to you auchtermuchty.....

G

gemarriott

I have never really enjoyed watching RL it just seems too simple a concept for me. No real tactics as such, head down run if you don't score after 6 tackles hand the ball over. BORING!

they can't scrummage, they take 2 or 3 men to make a tackle, no rucks or mauls and the refereeing standards are almost as bad as football.

I like Union more because there is more variation in the play than RL, and the forwards get plenty of chances to hurt the opposition legally and Rugby Union players CAN scrummage.

One thing in RL favour is the pace of the game, much faster than Union, another thing is at least it is better than football or cricket. but then again so is watching paint dry

T

The mighty V

Big hug for auchtermuchty, but no tongues:pDT_Xtremez_06:

A

auchtermuchty

Goaty said:
Over to you auchtermuchty.....

Why?

Scott Gibbs went to League before professionalism and was very succesful. I dont deny it but it wasnt in the last decade which was my point. Henry Paul wasnt as good as he thought he was - hence the lack of England appearances compared to what he could have had. As he has returned to RL he has just gone back to where he made his name. He is one of the big names in RL and is going to improve any team he plays for.

As such you didnt bring any points for me to rebuff.

Off Topic
If your avatar is an indication of your location our stations meet on wednesday at yours...be gentle with them - Honington put 70 points on us this year!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Goaty

Corporal
There was no points for you to rebuff and Henry Paul isn't really one of the big names anymore. I never mentioned whether Scott Gibbs was a professional or not either. I was simply making a comment about how good he was.....

And the 'Over to you auchtermuchty' was just being civil.....

A

auchtermuchty

Fair enough old boy.

Just out of interest, would anyone like to see a rerun of the champion v champion game. In the same way that wigan? and bath played all those years ago.