• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Royan Raid, 4/5th January 1945

mnairb

LAC
Hi, everyone, I am new to this site, but have been a regular poster on your companion site, ARRSE, for a number of years (by reason of being an ex-pongo). The reason for posting is that I am after any information on a particular raid carried out by the RAF in January 1945 and I thought that (like on the ARRSE site), that there are people more versed in the history of RAF Bomber Command than I.

Madame mnairb (my wife) is French, and a number of years ago, we bought a small house on the West Coast of France. Whereas the area is very old (the last bastion of the French Protestants), the local town, Royan, is newly built. Digging into the local history, I found that this area of France was one of the last to be liberated, but that an attempt to take the area was made in January 1945. Royan commands the estuary of the River Gironde, which leads to the inland port of Bordeaux, so while it was in German hands, Bordeaux could not be used to supply US troops fighting up from the South of France.

A number of fruitless attacks were made and in early January, apparently as a result of a drunken conversation between an American and a French officer, a request was made through SHAEF for Royan to be bombed. Subsequently, on the night of 4th/5th January, a large force of bombers was sent, in two waves, to obliterate the town, which they did. Unfortunately, the Germans had moved to the perimeter of the pocket and only about 50 were killed, as opposed to over 700 French civilians.

I have found out as much as I can from the internet about the raid, and what I have found contradicts what local French authors have written - particularly with regard to RAF losses that night. I know that there was at least one mid-air collision between 2 Lancasters (the crew of one of them is buried in the local cemetery) and others were lost either over Royan or over the river or on the return journey (the CWGC website has aircrew lost on that night listed in the cemetery at Cognac), but I have no details on them.

What I would like to know is more detail on the raid - squadrons involved, losses (where the planes came down, survivors etc.) and the presumed results of the raid. I always try to visit the local cemetery (Courlay) on our trips down to pay my respects and I have also found recently the graves of 3 of one crew in Royan cemetery, although this is a very sore point locally as the French civilians killed that night are buried in a mass grave in the same cemetery.

Any information would be very gratefully received as we are going back down in a couple of weeks.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Tin Basher might know something. He'd have been an LAC around about this time...

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The Bomber Command War Diary was published as a book a few years ago, I don't have access to my copy at the moment but i'll try and look up the entry in there next week.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have just looked this raid up in my copy of The Bomber Command War Diaries by Martin Middlebrook and Chris Everitt (Penguin Books 1990). A precis of it is below.

The commentary on this raid by the authors acknowledges that the stories behind this raid are disputed but provides the version that 12000 personnel of the Resistance under Free French Army officers were besieging the town and its German garrison but, without artillery support, were making little progress. A meeting took place in Cognac between a USAAF officer and French officers at which alcohol may have been consumed. The USAAF officer suggested that bombing would 'soften up' the defenders and he was assured (wrongly as it turned out - some 2000 civilians remained despite having been given chance to leave by the German commander) that the town contained only Germans and collaborators. He passed his info on to SHAEF, who agreed to the raid to destroy the town. It is said that the raid was cancelled at the last minute but the order, if issued, was not received in time. 347 Lancaster's and 7 Mosquitos of 1, 5 & 8 Groups in 2 waves, attacked the town in the early hours of 5 Jan in good visibility. 1576 tons of high explosive bombs were dropped, including 285 x 4000lb bombs. Between 85 & 90% of the town was destroyed and estimates of French casualties vary between 500 & 800 killed, many during the 2nd wave as they tried to rescue victims of the 1st wave. There were bitter recriminations afterwards, Bomber Command was exonerated, the USAAF officer was removed from his command and the worst accusations and counter accusations were amongst the Free French Army officers for years afterwards. 4 Lancasters were lost and 2 more collided behind enemy lines over France.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I recommend the book to students of RAF history, it demonstrates the size of some of the raids (over 1000 heavy bombers in some cases), exposes the extent of the losses the bomber forces sustained, but also shows the way that technological progress hugely improved targeting of individual sites and reduced the losses through skill, airmanship and courage.

Last edited:

mnairb

LAC
Old Stacker, thanks very much for this info - it very much confirms information I have gleaned from other sources. We are going down to the house this Wednesday until the end of July and I will go to both the library at Royan and the museum to see if I can find any more detail. I shall also try and make a visit to Cognac (always a delight) to see the War Graves in the cemetery.

There was subsequently a daylight raid in April 1945 by the USAAF on military installations at La Grande Cote which was notable for the use of Napalm by the Americans for the first time in the European theatre.