• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rockport walk

M

MakkaPakka1

Having a re occurring knee injury that has surfaced once more, how do you go about attempting the Rockport walk instead. My fitness is average and having attempted shuttle runs recently, my knee gets aggravated to the point that I can no longer go on.

Do you have to be referred by a doc or can you simply book it?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
You get a chit off of the Doc and then book it through your friendly mirror techs.

M

MakkaPakka1

Thanks, will see what he says.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

I was under the impression we didn't have any mirror techs left, I thought we just turned up at the gym and anyone who had taken the one day P'ed course took the lesson. That's how it works at Leeming.

T

Tubby

I do it and I have been asked for a chit once in 2 years (5 test) just turn up. my advice for passing if you are sub 40. Just walk fast as fcuk. Only my weight let me down once doing that. Last walk was 11 min 17 sec if that helps, sub 12 is usually safe.

N

NotAnIDOYet

I do it and I have been asked for a chit once in 2 years (5 test) just turn up. my advice for passing if you are sub 40. Just walk fast as fcuk. Only my weight let me down once doing that. Last walk was 11 min 17 sec if that helps, sub 12 is usually safe.

Agree with sub 12 but it also depends on weight and average heart rate. If your HR is naturally high then you need to go slower so as not to elevate it too much.

CI bloke

Corporal
I am being treated for a knee problem at the RRU at Halton. I've had a "chit" for the last couple of months for MSFT exemption. The day before JPA went offline, I got workflow notification for OOA. I went to the Gym last week (unannounced) for Rockport induction as I didn't want to get downgraded. Pleasantly surprised that I passed and the PTI informed me that I had to have Rockport walk annotated on my "chit." Got that sorted from the Med Centre and redone the test. Now have a few months to get my knee sorted for OOA :) Good to see SMC/PTI being proactive.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
From what I hear, the thinking involved in working out what to do on a Rockport Walk to pass exceeds the effort to just run up and down - is this true? Do you have to think about now going too fast for your heart etc?

For sure, the running up and down stuff was not too onerous for the older giffer.

Rockport Walk - The answer is in the title, It is a walk over a messured distance that is calculated by time taken to complete the distance and heart rate level of the indivual over the last quarter of the walk. an instant fail is calulated by :- 1. time taken over 12 mins or heart rate over last quarter high than that expected by medical standards for person of their age at 80% workout.Key to successfull pass is to go flat out as fast as you can for the first three quarters then slow down, place your hands on your head, breath in through the nose and out through the mouth thus lowering the heart rate for the last quarter.but remember you still have the press ups and sits to complete straight after the walk to the same levels as the bleep test.hope this clears up some of the problemsfrom a Rockport walk verteran of six years (every six months)

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
You're kidding?
the last quarter is where the average heart rate is measured from. You'd need to slow down on lap 3 to get your heart rate down on lap 4.
I've done 5 of them and I've found by far the best way is to man up and go balls out. The time counts for more than a few extra heart beats.

T

Tubby

I have a high heart rate only when exercising, during the walk my pace is such I average 170+ on the last 1/4 mile. I dont do anything fancy but keep walking very very quickly, this ends as a pass. Most failures I see are either too fat or trying stupid fast slow nonsense, as you get punished a lot more for your weight than the higher heart rate just walk very fast.

The RAF equations are on the intranet, look in different pti flights docs folders for them. You will then be able to play with the figures to see what time you need.

My last figures, 31y/o 81kg 171bpm 11:17 = pass.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
My latest fat test was rockport walk thanks to niggly medial ligament. Did shockingly well, 40 year old male weighing in at 78kg taking 12:32 to do the test with average pulse of 120 resulted in light blue and a look of shock on my face.

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
So what happens if you run around. Do you get super dark deepest blue?

My tactic if I was to do the Rockport test is... run around it like a Kenyan marathon runner and stop and have a lie down just short of the place where they take your heart rate measurement. After a few minutes nap when your pulse has slowed down, then finish the rest of the test.