• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reunions

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I went to a 8 sqn reunion last April...not a full squadron one but a select number of people who hung around doing similar stuff whilst on 8. Still attracted 30 odd people though and I have to say I really enjoyed spending time with them!

The Goat is here if any of you want to advertise any reunions...it's an ideal place to also start off the seedlings of one as well...

Any on here regularly attending reunions? Anyone been to one recently? Anyone like to start one rolling but unsure of the effort involved or how to do it?

Dazzy26

Corporal
I've been to a few over the last couple of years and to be honest always have a great time, meeting not just old friends but also some of the older veterans who have some great stories to tell and you realise that the sense of humour is still the same. Obviously both this and next year will see numerous Sqn's 100th anniversaries and I think I'll be going to at least 2 of them. It is a little sad though when you see the emails going round the current Sqn personnel saying about the lack of response and interest. Maybe a sign of the times or low morale??

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Went to a Buccaneer Ground Crew reunion in June at Norwich, arranged through Facebook. Not knowing if I'd actually know anybody, I made the effort to go and about 30 turned up from as far as Cornwall and Scotland including folk I've worked with since leaving the RAF but never knew they were once on Buccs! Also met my Team Chief from Honington's ASF where I was posted from my Fitter's course, whom I hadn't seen since being posted from there to 208Sqn in 1980.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
The most "memorable" reunion I attended was the II(AC) Sqn 90th Anniversary bash in 2002. Every five years was a big event, attracting ex-members from all over the world. This particular one was huge, and to raise funds, we had a spotters weekend, which raised a good few quid. Normally, events centred on the entire Sqn coming together, but this time the Project Officer had a different idea to the rest of the organising committee and insisted on separate events in respective messes, depending on what rank you were or used to be. What could possibly go wrong.....

On the Saturday Dining In night, the OC was summoned from his position at the top table in the Officers Mess surrounded by numerous retired CAS's and AOCs to be greeted by a couple who had travelled a very long way and were not happy. The gentleman asked if he was having a good time. OC II said "yes thankyou". Reply - "We're bloody not", turned round and walked off. The letter that he wrote to the Sqn told his life story, and how humiliated he felt that as a WW2 veteran who had served his country and community, he was judged by the current OC to be an LAC. After the war he built up a successful business and been the Mayor of his town, before retiring abroad. As he was deemed an airman, his function was in the NAAFI, where he didn't even manage to get to the scraps of the cold buffet before the deafening music and drunken current airmen throwing food took over the place.

I believe there were several complaints like this from veterans. It cost the Sqn officers fund quite a lot in refunds and lost a lot of the Sqn old-boys. I dont think their reunions are very well attended any more.

Last edited:

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I go to an 18 Sqn reunion annually - (Gut not Odi), so with mates from about 30 years ago. Always well attended and in a German bar in London that sells Wobbly :)

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Boy Entrants - 45th Ground Wireless - Reunion York

A Reunion of the above will , hopefully, take place in York on 26th September 2020 at 1900.

Further details suddesr@aol.com or 07840125396.

We have our XXV reunion every year in York, beware, a lot of pubs don’t like big groups of pissed up blokes. Also avoid race days. It’s a grand place for ogling nice looking women on hen weekends though.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I go to an 18 Sqn reunion annually - (Gut not Odi), so with mates from about 30 years ago. Always well attended and in a German bar in London that sells Wobbly :)

I went to the first "Almost 30 Years" - South of the River.

I also went to the Chinook one, in October, too. Lots of familiar faces and a nice times at both.

For the last few years I've been to a more local one for me, in Norwich, for Buccaneers. All Squadrons and we even allow aircrew there too!
OC 12 came for a look a year or so ago and she was quite nice but I suppose a pub with 50 old geezers in it isn't like an officers mess.
Normally in June, but this year we might have to wait a bit longer....The event is on FB if you want to look.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
JAFADS-SCOPIES_PEANUTS etc.
Neatishead reunion on Saturday 1st Apr 2023 on site. Good museum visit and obviously Narwich on the doorstep. POC Carl Lamb via Face ache.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
1st Weekend of April is the HE@R (Harrier Engineers Annual Reunion at the Green Man in Stamford. The latest one being HE@R XI.

It has been well attended in the past, the owner of the Green Man has 4 Guest Ales brewed specifically for each Sqn, but the last one I went to was missing a fair bit from my Generation (2002 - 2010) and even the old boys attendance rates are dwindling given the obvious.