• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Resettlement abroad........scuba diving

zipfish

Mr
Has anyone had any experience of resettling abroad?

I realise that the RAF wont pay for international travel, but they'll still pay the rest of the hotel/travel/food expenses right? At least they do at the moment.

I am looking at doing a 4 week scuba diving course in around October- December, probably in the far east. I've have only ever done 1 scuba dive before, hopefully this is enough time to get some kind of rating.

There are plenty of companies that sell scuba/accomodation packages, but how do you go about paying this in a oner? As the course will be paid by resettlement money and I assume the hotel should come from a different budget.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience in either resettlement abroad or scuba diving courses like the one I'm after.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Have a look in Quest Mag, there used to be a place in the Philippines that did a resettlement package, taking you from novice to PADI Dive Master over the course of 6 weeeks (IIRC)

I also know of an ATC guy (friebd of a dive buddy) that got 6 weeks in the US Virgin Islands for his resettlement, so just about anything is possible.

Also, your Learning Centre probably has loads of info, so have a look down there too.

hope this helps

S

Shaung2003

I looked into this with great detail as im leaving the service soon and make a start on the Dive industry.

You can only claim you Enhanced Learning Credits for and above NVQ Level 3 or equivalent.

The only dive course that offers this is the IDC part of the diving, so you will have to pay your own way up to Dive Master (PADI).

Again you will have to find a dive centre that is registered with the ELC to claim for this.

Or you can do what im doing, one OOA to Herrick, enough money saved for a 7 month all inclusive everything paid for holiday in Thailand, £6k later, OWSI. sorted!

:pDT_Xtremez_34:

I know when I looked at doing mine they wanted 6 months notice to get the paperwork in and you're only covered insurance wise for the resettlement period of leave and not any time after, so I ended up doing mine in the UK and sure enough had an accident.

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
You can only claim you Enhanced Learning Credits for and above NVQ Level 3 or equivalent.

The only dive course that offers this is the IDC part of the diving, so you will have to pay your own way up to Dive Master (PADI).

If you can get an ELC provider to give you a course that ultimately ends with a level 3 qualification or above, then the whole course is covered.

S

Shaung2003

If you can get an ELC provider to give you a course that ultimately ends with a level 3 qualification or above, then the whole course is covered.

Really? Thanks, il look into that tomorrow! Still only £2k tho but every little helps!

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
Really? Thanks, il look into that tomorrow! Still only £2k tho but every little helps!

That's how I funded my MCSA. 2k is better than 1k now, at least it gives you the option to pick a better (or more cost effective for you) course.

You can also use your IRTC cash of £534 as a personal contribution, but you have to pay it up front and claim it back - and you have to complete the course prior to your last day to get the IRTC money.

Good luck!

Scuba Diving Resettlement

Scuba Diving Resettlement

Just to let you know, there is now only one Dive Company outside of the UK Approved by ELCAS. Dive In based in Cyprus, you can find them on the ELCAS site, their ELCAS Number is 1510. Or check out their website www.elc-resettlement.co.uk .

I know a couple of RAF guys who used their Resettlement to become PADI Instructors.