• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserves training - physical tasks

Delta

LAC
I'm starting the RAF Halton Reserves course soon (15 day basic training). We have already done the RAFFT but I have heard there will be other physical tasks and assessments on the course at Halton. Can anyone provide details on what we'll be doing (e.g. circuits in gym, assault course, running, ...)? Thanks lots, Delta

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There won't be any. There isn't the time and in any case you are going to be hanging at the end of each day anyway. Your 15 day course is all about weapon systems, first aid, CBRN, General Service lectures and field-craft. There is a lot of practical practice and exercises outside plus a "camp" (I use the term loosely).

In the hangar there are 2 forms of movement allowed. Marching or jogging. I suggest you jog as the former is a pain in the arse. It's actually a scream (after the first 2 days) and all you'll really do exercise wise is carry a lot of $hit around with you.

Entropy

Sergeant
I went through Halton 7 yeats ago so things may have changed and there will be someone along shortly that has more recent experience.. All we had to do was retake the RAFFT, some leapord crawling, a little bit of running around in full CBRN with respirator and a day doing fire and manouver in pairs. It was nothing too difficult at all as it was designed for every trade not just regiment. Everyone there (different ages and fittness levels) managed to fully engage in everything thrown at us.

Delta I wouldn't worry about the phys while you are there, if you can do the RAFFT or even get close to it then you wont have a problem. If your'e worried that the phys wont be enough, then it will be a case of toughing it out and waiting to get back on your unit and asking for a beasting.

My advice would be to not worry about it and just enjoy the experience as it will be a great laugh and a chnce to make some great friend.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Fitness Testing is not undertaken any more at Halton for Reserves. It is a requirement for attendance.

Delta

LAC
Thanks all - it's very reassuring to have an idea of what to expect. I'm going to get my fitness into good shape before I go to Halton even if there aren't any specific assessments. Thanks again, much appreciated to hear from you all!