• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserves enquiry

Hello,
I want to join the RAF as a reservist... I have a couple of queries I am hoping somebody can help me with,

Does anybody have experience of being a reservist and working their civilian job?
How did your employer react?
I have a feeling that although it is illegal for an employer to terminate your employment for being a reservist, they may just alienate you to make you want to leave.....?

In 2006, I got in trouble with the police... drink never does anybody any favours, that I have learnt. I was sent to a YOI for 8 months, I worked out that I have 3 years before my sentence is spent and I am free to join, however on the website it does say it depends on which job you want to do.... obviously it would be unlikely I would be accepted into the RAF Police, but may be able to go in as a Gunner....
Is this the case or is it very strict? I would like to join as soon as possible, but if I have to wait the 3 years then so be it!
Any advise and information would be gratefully received

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hi and Welcome

A lot depends upon the employer - many have a policy and a history of employing reservists because it rather gives the individual an edge, whilst others (mostly those with a low number of employees) feel that productivity will suffer.

You have pretty much got to serve a little less than 40 days a year, with just 16 consecutive weeks of that being away from work (the rest is pretty much weekends) - that's all you would have to give up or your employer tolerate.

If you want to sell it to your employer, and they have no idea or policy, refer to the Sabre website http://www.sabre.mod.uk/Employers/E...Your-rights-and-responsibilities#.UfZbvdJweSo

This tells the employer what support they can expect.

As regards the spent convictions - I hope someone else can help you out on that.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I think Stevie means 16 consecutive days not weeks.

Whether or not your offence is spent, someone may be able to advise if they do delinquency waivers still, they will do background checks but should be pretty lenient if you are going for Gunner. Don't forget they go from day of conviction not date of offence.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, this will all come in use. Do you think being ex-army may benefit me at all when speaking to the recruitment staff about having a criminal conviction? Also, do you think It would be better to speak directly with my local reservist unit or go down to the recruitment office? Thank you for your help

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thank you for your replies, this will all come in use. Do you think being ex-army may benefit me at all when speaking to the recruitment staff about having a criminal conviction? Also, do you think It would be better to speak directly with my local reservist unit or go down to the recruitment office? Thank you for your help

The local squadron thing. It all goes through a central manning cell, but the relationship is always local, so making an impression with a potential employer up front may make a lot of sense. Squadrons have a Personnel NCO as well, and they have the griff on acceptance criteria.

....and thanks B71, yes I did mean 16 days continuous per year.

Entropy

Sergeant
Whilst talking to your local Sqn ask about their annual training commitment. The minimum requirement is 16 days per year but it does vary, either by trade or Sqn. Us movers are required to do 2.5 days per month and 15 days continuous training to obtain our bounty. In addition there is 1 evening per month that the Sqn would like you to attend.

Last edited: