• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Regiment transfer

Joe

LAC
Hi all I've posted on Rocknet as well but wanted to see what I could find on here.
Im currently serving in the army (Guards) and I'd like to transfer to the RAF regiment. It seems like I'd have a more varied and Intresting career. Been in about 2 and a half years and not happy in my current unit. Before I go to the chain of command I'd like to get some info. Is it possible to transfer like that cross service? And what sort of training would I have to do, whole gunners course or could j be posted straight to a squadron?
Cheers
Joe

Joe

LAC
I'm jus trying to get some information so far, they've already told me they'd support me tranaferring to another trade in the army, id just like to have done my homework before bringing it up.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
There are a few rock apes on here, as well as recruitment bods who should be able to help you, so hopefully you should get some gen you are after.

Have a trawl of the recruitment forums as well, as there is a wealth of information in there.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi all I've posted on Rocknet as well but wanted to see what I could find on here.
Im currently serving in the army (Guards) and I'd like to transfer to the RAF regiment. It seems like I'd have a more varied and Intresting career. Been in about 2 and a half years and not happy in my current unit. Before I go to the chain of command I'd like to get some info. Is it possible to transfer like that cross service? And what sort of training would I have to do, whole gunners course or could j be posted straight to a squadron?
Cheers
Joe

Hi,

Cross transfers are fairly common and there are many ex-Army and RN in the RAF (as well as ex-RAF in the other services too). However bear in mind that it can be a fairly laborious process as the hold-ups are usually at the Army end - many RCMOs are reluctant to let their guys go, especially into the RAF and they are notorious for causing delays in the transfer process as most of them simply won't see you as a priority. Your first port of call is your nearest RAF AFCO - you mention being in the Guards so I am making an assumption you're at Aldershot? If so, the nearest office to you will be Portsmouth, though if you're elsewhere, you can find locations via Google. After then, you need to register your interest via the RAF Careers Hotline (which again can be found on Google or the RAF Careers website), whilst at the same time you need to sound out your RCMO to get the process started from your end. As I said though, do not expect him to make it easy or quick for you so be patient. HQ Air at High Wycombe will, depending on your scores, paperwork, etc, initiate the Permission to Proceed (P2P) and you will be in the process.

As for training, HQ Air will make a decision as to whether you will be required to complete the Pre-Gunner Selection Course (PGSC) which is a pre-requisite for all potential Gunners coming from the civilian sector. You will then go onto the Trainee Gunner course, along with everyone else. HQ Air will determine what rank you will enter as - generally, most transferees enter at the rank of Leading Aircraftman (LAC), though don't take that as a given. Promotion to SAC will be in line with everyone else.

But, as I said, chat to the nearest AFCO and they will advise further.