• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Regiment berets

Surely the redcoats were a bigger hindrance, obviously not if you wanted to look alley!

Well done to the chap in question, if he is that nails he can wear his hat however he wants.

what really grips me about 'the corps' is that when you turn up for the annual loook at me I'm hard and military day, why, when they insist that you turn up punctually at 0725 does it take them half an hour to get their arse in gear! No doubt shaping their hats into a truly scary military shape and checking the creases in their CS95 are as sharp as their wit!

S

Simio de las Rocas

I spent years with a brass Kings crown badge.until someone nicked it a Gutersloh.........I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.......you weasly little maggot........
Ahh good to see a fellow Light Divisioner.. You RGJ me 2LI. ('83-'86)

Oh the memories of Sir John Moore barracks and the long block.

Now let's talk regimental rivalry !!!

Well said. I spent a long time in the woods on the HF in mid 80's & the Rocks were top lads. 15sqn & 2 sqn mainly (anyone remember Dave Chandler - nutter !!) & I must say we slept safely at night. Supposed site attacks by the BAOR came to nothing as the Rocks picked them off 2-3kms away from our Harrier site.

I can remember hearing distant screams in the Bondu as we cracked open more beer. Happy days

:pDT_Xtremez_31:

The guy's name was "Chris" Chandler Regiment legend.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
Surely the redcoats were a bigger hindrance, obviously not if you wanted to look alley!

Red coat is a form of camouflage
Apprently when advancing line abreast towards your enemy as was the tactics of the day the red becomes blurred together making it harder to count the number of men!

Of course given the upper class twits of the day who commanded some of these Regiments they probably thought it was far more sporting to dress everyone in bright colours to give their enemy more chance to shoot some of the lower class :S

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Off Topic
Red coat is a form of camouflage
Apprently when advancing line abreast towards your enemy as was the tactics of the day the red becomes blurred together making it harder to count the number of men!

Of course given the upper class twits of the day who commanded some of these Regiments they probably thought it was far more sporting to dress everyone in bright colours to give their enemy more chance to shoot some of the lower class :S

The thing was at the time of the red coats came in, most armies couldn't hit anything at a range more than 50 yards, the flintlock muskets of the time were not fitted with sights and the troops were not trained to aim the weapon in the sense that we do today. In the pre Napoleonic Wars battles the British line would present their weapons to the front, and fire a volley on command as the approaching enemy got to within about 50 yards. They then reloaded and maybe got off another round, before the two line merged and the fighting became hand to hand. What changed this were the experiences of the British in the American War of Independence, when the British fell fowl to Colonial Sharpshooters armed with rifles. This lead to experiments with the 60th Regiment made up of mercenary German sharpshooters, and later the formation of the 95th Regiment armed with the Baker Rifle, who made a big name for themselves as part of the Light Division with Wellington in Portugal and Spain during the Peninsular War of 1807-1814. The 95th could be called the earliest model of the modern British infantryman. (The Baker Rifle was accurate up to 500 yards, the troops were trained in marksmanship, wore green uniforms and used infantry tactics some of which are still used today). The 95th are best known for their part in CS Forester's novel ‘Death to the French’, and of course the ‘Sharpe’ series by Bernard Cornwell.

Chosen Man!!!!Off Topic

Rikster

Sergeant
Off Topic

The thing was at the time of the red coats came in, most armies couldn't hit anything at a range more than 50 yards, the flintlock muskets of the time were not fitted with sights and the troops were not trained to aim the weapon in the sense that we do today. In the pre Napoleonic Wars battles the British line would present their weapons to the front, and fire a volley on command as the approaching enemy got to within about 50 yards. They then reloaded and maybe got off another round, before the two line merged and the fighting became hand to hand. What changed this were the experiences of the British in the American War of Independence, when the British fell fowl to Colonial Sharpshooters armed with rifles. This lead to experiments with the 60th Regiment made up of mercenary German sharpshooters, and later the formation of the 95th Regiment armed with the Baker Rifle, who made a big name for themselves as part of the Light Division with Wellington in Portugal and Spain during the Peninsular War of 1807-1814. The 95th could be called the earliest model of the modern British infantryman. (The Baker Rifle was accurate up to 500 yards, the troops were trained in marksmanship, wore green uniforms and used infantry tactics some of which are still used today). The 95th are best known for their part in CS Forester's novel ‘Death to the French’, and of course the ‘Sharpe’ series by Bernard Cornwell.

Chosen Man!!!!Off Topic
There you go Simio de las Rocas

He's talking about us!
I am not one of those ugly feckers by the way!

Attachments

• ASIFday.jpg
    ASIFday.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bigred1

SAC
Shiver down my spine at the memories of the man!
Took us for unarmed combat on my basics, it hurt!!
Top bloke, more stories about him than Santa.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
Shiver down my spine at the memories of the man!
Took us for unarmed combat on my basics, it hurt!!
Top bloke, more stories about him than Santa.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Do tell......

My old schoolmate, Pete "a man called horse" Lane was on 2sqn with him at Hullav'. Hell of a bloke by all accounts.

P

Portcullis

The 'management' let Sgt Chandler loose on the J Cse for a bit of extra curricular pain-infliction, aka self-defence. Not being the greatest of time-keepers then I turned up a few minutes late. 'Sorry, sergeant' said I. 'Don't worry sir, all you've missed is 33 ways of killing someone!'

Guess who was the willing volunteer for the rest of the session!