• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Realistic Job Preview advice

Hi,

I'm currently going through the process of joining the RAF. I have my date for OASC and I'm due to visit RAF Leeming for a realistic job preview. I've been told to bring my passport as I.D. Is there anything else i should probably take with me? I'm unsure how prepared I should be for this kind of visit. Any advice would be appreciated!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
You should have received a set of joining instructions from whoever organised the event (I take it the AFCO will have sorted it out for you?). If not, then contact them at the earliest opportunity as all the info you will need will be in there. Turn up early (15-30 minutes), so you can be processed in at the Guard Room without any rush or hassle. Wear a smart suit - after all, you are trying to join their gang, not the other way round - polish your shoes and have a haircut. This may seem like basics, but you will be surprised as to how many people turn up to things like this looking like they've skateboarded down there. Be interested and have a load of questions written down. The chances are they will be answered for you during the presentation but have them written down anyway as there may be at least something that will be missed off and it's always best to ask for points to be re-iterated if you're unsure. First impressions are absolutely everything. Give them an excuse to contact the AFCO to tell them you aren't worth the hassle and they will do it.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
It's not uncommon for joining instructions to get 'mislaid' or arrive the day after you need them...

...regardless, do just what WH said - make an effort! Get your suit dry-cleaned a week before you need it - if you don't own a suit, get one! A matching tie and sensible shoes are also a good idea (winklepickers best left in the wardrobe at home).

You don't need to get your head shaved for the interview, but as WH said a haircut is a very good idea, so you at least look like you might suit a uniform. And for god's sake don't turn up with designer stubble. A 'tache is actually acceptable, as is a well groomed beard (which you will eventually have to lose unless you are of certain religious backgrounds) and even a big old set of pork chops - but the 'I've not shaved for three days' look doesn't go down well. You may not be told as such but that's what is noted about you.

Although anything that you will need for the interview itself should be provided, make sure you have at least one (black) pen and a pencil in your pocket, and if possible an A6 notepad (ie pocketsize). That gives you the flexibity to take notes if you need to, write down names, dates and phone numbers, etc.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
From what I remember from my RAF induction day the joining instructions have just about everything you needed to know and what you were expected to do. Read it all and read it carefully.

With regards to asking questions. So many people make it difficult for the presenters to hear and understand their questions by not making themselves visible or heard properly.

If you have the opportunity to ask a question, stand-up and say your name, make sure the presenter can see you and speak up. Remain standing for the answer - this tends to keep focus on you so that if you want further clarification you will still have the speakers attention and make it easier for them to ask you something to clarify your question. When answered say thank you and sit down.

One other tip, don't ask smart-@rse questions.

Digzster

Sergeant
I'd take a pinch of salt with you (for the BS about the job specs). "Realistic" I don't think so. Be honest, it's trying to show you the best points to get you to join not show you any bad side that's there.

After all, that's the purpose of the visit.

Don't be downhearted by my comments though, I did 35yrs and for the majority of the time loved it.