• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*RAF Swimming Test for Aircrew*

R

RAFmum

Hey Everyone,
I am applying as a wsop and i just wondered if someone could clarify what the swimming test is for Aircrew is please?
Is it 100m - any stroke in coveralls, tread water for 3 mins then out at the deep end un-assisted?
Also is there a time limit on the test?
Any tips on how to practice this?!I am not a strong swimmer so any advice/tips would be greatfully received!!
Thanks

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can't tell you exactly as I don't know how long Waddo pool is but its 4 lengths followed by treading water for a few minutes then haul yourself out whilst wearing a flying suit but no boots/socks...

My advice is get better at swimming as if you do go into the drink the pax that may be with you (say you were on a Merlin or similar) are going to be looking at you for some leadership as they'll be even more in shock and afraid than you are...If you were on a Nim or similar big type I'm in all honesty bolloxed if I'm going to swim back into danger to pull you along (unless you are injured) because you are a weak swimmer...

Brutal?...yes but its a fact you have to be physically robust to do the job so get down the local pool, pay for a course of training from someone who knows what they are on about and become a strong swimmer...it may just save your life...

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
There is no denying that aircrew should have some level of swimming expertise, the ability to function after a crash into the water will save lives, their own or passengers on board.

You might a little surprised to hear that people who work on the sea have a different attitude. When I got demobbed in the mid 70's I spent a fun filled couple of weeks on my Uncle's trawler out of North Shields. I was the only one on board that could swim. They used to say "why bother to prolong your time in the water - better to get it over with quickly". Hope that has changed now.

R

RAFmum

Thanks for all your replies.
Top advice from Vim Fuegor, thanks for being brutal! But as you said it is a skill that may save lives and I appreciate your comments on this.
I am aiming to get to my local pool a couple of times a week and complete some swimming lessons to strengthen my skills. Its all going to be worth it!