• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Regt -v- Royal Marines Courage Cup RL

C

cockneyrock

The RAF Regt played the Royal Marines for the Courage Cup (Rugby League) on Tues 3 Jul 07 at RAF Uxbridge. The game was played as a curtain raiser for the Combined Services -v- Australian Students.

Apparently the boys put on a good show going in 10-10 at half time. Unfortunately, despite holding the Royals to 10-16 at 60 mins, they couldn’t stop the Royals from running out 10-36 victors.

ps. Combined Services lost 20-48 for those that might be interested.

Last edited:
C

cockneyrock

Saw the highlights on BFBS the other night. Looked like they lads had a good go.

Really!!

I'll have to see if the boys are aware of that.

Typically we won't get to see it here in the UK::/: . maybe we can get a video clip of it and someone with the approptiate knowledge could get it posted on U-Tube?

C

cockneyrock

Here is the match report from the Royal Navy website:

The Courage Cup 2007
RAF Regiment 10:36 Royal Marines

After a slow start the Royal Marines recorded a comfortable win over the RAF Regt in the annual Courage Cup trophy match at RAF Uxbridge. Typical of the recent weather the match got underway in torrential rain which alternated with bright sunshine throughout the match making conditions difficult for both sides.

The first quarter of the match was very evenly balanced with the defence from both sides snuffing out any serious attacking moves however the RAF eventually broke the deadlock with a try out wide for full back Donald following a soft penalty. This breakthrough led to a flurry of points before the break as both sides matched each other try for try. The RM replied to the opening try with one of their own from sub Sutherland only to see the RAF come back with another under the posts from their Captain Simms and with the conversion from Pearson the flyers were ahead 10:4. As half time approached the RM launched another attack and this time veteran hooker Mark Donaldson crossed under the posts to give full back Fear a straightforward conversion to tie the scores at the break.

The first score of the second half came shortly after the break and it was the RM that continued where they had left off in the first half, a try for skipper Williams following a slick pass from hooker Donaldson saw the RM take the lead for the first time in the match. Fear was again on target with the conversion and the Corps were ahead 10-16. The match was scoreless for the next 15 minutes as the RAF tried to get back on terms but the RM now had the initiative and began to gain good ground against a tiring RAF side. Mark Donaldson was next to score after good work from the scrum he beat three defenders from 15 metres out and the conversion saw the Corps ahead by 12. The RAF were now finding it increasingly difficult to make any ground against the Royals and a further four tries in the last fifteen minutes with the final score from Kettly out on the wing rounding off a good solid performance from the Royal Marines maintaining their dominance of the Courage Cup competition.

RM – Fear, Howe, Kettly, Llewelyn. Daku, Pichilangy, Guy, Rose, Donaldson, Evens, Norman, Ashton, Mould. Williams. Johnstone, Sutherland, Turner, Suka, Riches, Owen
Scorers;- T, Donaldson (2) Norman (2) Sutherland, Williams, Ashton, Kettly
G, Fear (2)

RAF Regt – Donald, Skeete, Simms, Williams, Mills, Cummings, Pearson, Bell, Bardgett, Lloyd-Thompson, Bland, Hirst, Gilmore, Breese, Chung, Perry, Carey.
Scorers: - T Donald, Simms
G. Pearson.

Don't know why the author refers to the RAF Regiment team as flyers since they are all Gunners? I guess there is no accounting for "fish heads" eh?

C

cockneyrock

Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the 2008 Courage Cup took place at RAF Honington on 11 June. The result:

RAF REGT 36 - ROYAL 32

A first win ever (or certainly in the last few years) for the Rock Apes. Top match, top day and role on the Navy/Army in July/August

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the 2008 Courage Cup took place at RAF Honington on 11 June. The result:

RAF REGT 36 - ROYAL 32

A first win ever (or certainly in the last few years) for the Rock Apes. Top match, top day and role on the Navy/Army in July/August

Wasn't it the Army/Navy back at the beginning of May. May bank holiday... played at Twickenham. Army thrashed Navy cant rememeber the score watched it on BFBS out in KAF.

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!

RAF REGT 36 - ROYAL 32

Well done lads!:pDT_Xtremez_30: I bet that sticks in the throat of a few people!!!!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Ha ha I've just left a big message on my friends facebook fun wall about this score. he'll definately appreciate it being a marine...... teehee!!

[/color][/size]

Wasn't it the Army/Navy back at the beginning of May. May bank holiday... played at Twickenham. Army thrashed Navy cant rememeber the score watched it on BFBS out in KAF.

That was a rugby union game. THink the Rocks beat the marines in a League game.

Well done lads :pDT_Xtremez_28:

C

cockneyrock

Ah ok I stand corrected.... I am very sorry will not pretend to know about rugby stuff again!!

Should have made it clearer in my original post. The Courage Cup is an annual Rugby League clash between the Royal Marines and the RAF Regt. (Rugby League being the 13-a-side code)

This year the RAF Regiment are playing in the inaugural Inter-Services Rugby League Development tournament against the Army U23, Navy 'A' and Royal Marines. Each service will play each other once with the top 2 teams playing in the final. As things stand, it is looking good for the RAF Regt to reach the final (fingers crossed) where we will probably play the Army.