• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Medicals/Asthma/Bronchitis?

• Thread starter Just like watching Brazil
  • Start date
J

Just like watching Brazil

Hello

Hoping someone can help me here!

I have just had a spirometry test at my GP's in an attempt to prove that I don't have asthma. Its come back as being either asthmatic or bronchitis. I am in the middle of obtaining a second opinion, but in the event that it is one of the two, where does it leave me with regards to a career?

I was going for NCA and I know history of asthma will rule me out completely, even though i have had no symptoms. (I have had no symptoms of anything to be fair) but my two questions are

Will bronchitis also rule me out of Aircrew?

If both asthma and bronchitis rule me out of Aircrew, what ground trades are open to me?

I have already rang RAF Careers and my local AFCO and neither have been any help unfortunately! Someone please take me out of limbo!!

Thanks in advance

E

enginesuck

q1, NCA is Aircrew, NCA = Non commisioned Aircrew. You will also be unable to appy for pilot, and or Nav (WSO)

q2, Not sure you can join any trade if you currently have asthma, it used to be you could if you had so many years without treatment. Keep pestering the AFCO and see what they say.

Hope this helps and wish you best for your future career.

T

Twonston Pickle

Any symptoms or treatment for asthma within the last 4 years will be a bar to entry into the RAF. This includes any prescribed medication, even if it hasn't been used. Rather than phone the AFCO, you need to visit them to undergo an initial interview to establish your exact eligibility. No-one on here will be able to give you an exact answer.