• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Intelligence Officer- worth the transfer?

Faded

LAC
I'm currently a serving member of another service and in short, I'm looking at potentially transferring as an Intelligence Officer in the RAF.

I know enough of what an Intelligence Officer would be like but not the specifics of the RAF side. Hard to gauge I guess but is it worthwhile? I appreciate most of my time would be in an office environment and that’s fine but wondered if any one has any gens on the job or is it one to avoid! Is there much room for progression? Would I be working solely for the RAF or is there opportunities to work in more tri-service environments?

Is there much of a waiting list to join? I would need to undergo officer training first so how many entries does Cranwell have per year?

Any help would be great.

4everAD

Sergeant
Definitely opportunities to work in the Tri-Service environment, in the Eastern Med we have a couple of RAF IntOs on our Unit.

4everAD

Sergeant
Thanks. Did you get much exposure to them? Did they seem to enjoy their role?
Work with one of them everyday and he seems to love his role but it is pretty niche and probably not indicative of their 'normal' Sqn roles.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It’s quite a tricky role to get into so it might be worth chatting to some of the careers staff or your nearest location with an Int O.

Faded

LAC
It’s quite a tricky role to get into so it might be worth chatting to some of the careers staff or your nearest location with an Int O.

Thanks. I did wonder about the waiting list. The preferred option would be to commission as a Naval Int O but that requires an age wavier whereas at least the RAF would take me until 47 (according to the website!)